Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

this is what my lender told me...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: this is what my lender told me...

@Anonymous wrote:
so what exactly are saying? the collections are going to plummit my score.. and paying the cc will have little effect for me? why'd I bother is really what im starting to ask myself. I did my homework.. I met with 3 lenders.. who all said the same.. we needed to settle with old collections.. so I did, and now what? even paying my old collections isnt much of a difference?

At this point, have all the collections been paid off? If not, what are the balances of any unpaid collections?

Unfortunately, meeting one lending requirement (paying off collections) often conflicts with meeting another requirement (Fico score). Lenders usually want collections of any significant amount paid off so there is no potential for a future lien or other action that can affect your ability to make payments (as Mickie said).

Assuming your utilization is good, and there is nothing more that can be done to remove any of the collections accounts, can you improve another area, such as age? Do you have a close relative with a old account (with little or no utilization) who could add you as an AU and increase your oldest account age and average account age? Of course, an AU would be noticeable on review, but if it counters any collections-related score drop it might still give you a chance now, instead of needing to wait until some of the collection tradelines drop off ...

Message 21 of 25
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
so what exactly are saying? the collections are going to plummit my score.. and paying the cc will have little effect for me? why'd I bother is really what im starting to ask myself. I did my homework.. I met with 3 lenders.. who all said the same.. we needed to settle with old collections.. so I did, and now what? even paying my old collections isnt much of a difference?
If you met with only lenders, that may have been an issue.  Lenders have their own guidelines to work with, some lenders can broker to one or two places as well, but they normally try to keep everything in house if they see a way it could work.   Since they know their loan program guidelines and what an underwriter will or will not approve, they know that if you didn't pay off the collections you'd have zero chance of qualifying, but if you paid them off then there is a chance, and while it might hurt your scores, the loan officer is willing to take that chance in order to help you qualify for the mortgage.  Depending on your outlook on the situation, and the eventual outcome from the loan officers advice, that may or may not be a good plan.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just asked my LO in an email if we could use the original reports? I know paying off my CC will prove a jump if i do it before the statement date, and Im thinking it may help push the scores before the CA re age the acounts, since they usually take 30 days to do. I wonder if there is a way to jump around that. I asked him if I provided voided checks and letter proving payments that woud count towards the CA accounts. Thinks this is possible?
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

In reality, your lO can not tell you if they will or will not re-pull credit there are too many factors that go into the UW decision for the LO to really know.  He can tell you if they usually do, but USUAL cases don't involve numerous collections being paid off and numerous debts being paid down, in turn making a big change in FICO score.  It can not hurt to ask him what the normal process is, just keep in mind the low FICO and lots of credit profile changes are the type of things that would trigger an UW to pull at close to verify all info is accurate.  Your LO has no way to predict this. 

Anyways, good luck with it all. 

Message 24 of 25
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just asked my LO in an email if we could use the original reports? I know paying off my CC will prove a jump if i do it before the statement date, and Im thinking it may help push the scores before the CA re age the acounts, since they usually take 30 days to do. I wonder if there is a way to jump around that. I asked him if I provided voided checks and letter proving payments that woud count towards the CA accounts. Thinks this is possible?
It's up to the underwriter what they will accept, but that certainly sounds like a good idea to ask. 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.