Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unusual situation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: unusual situation

mt2va wrote:  

One of the problems seems to be the amount we want to finance is less than the minimum that banks will finance.  I spoke to the bank that holds the current note and their current minimum to finance is $55,000.  I haven’t actually discussed the amount that my parents want for the house, but I really don’t expect for them to ask for much more than the amount due to pay the loan off with the bank. 

Did you check with more than one bank?  If not, it'd be worth a phone call.  You might try smaller local banks and credit unions.

Or if they're willing to give you the house, is there a way you can get a home equity loan or line and use it to pay them back?

Message Edited by rmily on 08-12-2009 07:26 PM
Message 11 of 20
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

The only other thing I can think of is to have them add you to the title. If and when they pass, you are the sole person left on the title. I just don't know if that can still be added to the estate.

I would definately seek legal advice though.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 12 of 20
mt2va
Established Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the various suggestions.  I'm keeping a list of them so we can check each one out and see which would work.  I'm still waiting to hear back from the current bank.  I may also try NFCU since I have had good luck with them lately regarding loans. 

I don't think there would be a problem getting the title into my name (once we've gone through the legal process) but we have to resolve the loan somehow. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the original mortgage is either an FHA or VA mortgage, chances are, it's assumable.

Have you looked into that? If it's the case, all you'd have to do is allow the lender to approve you (credit check, income verification, etc) to "assume" the mortgage as it is. There's not even an appraisal needed.

Crossing my fingers for you!!
Message 14 of 20
mt2va
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If the original mortgage is either an FHA or VA mortgage, chances are, it's assumable.

Have you looked into that? If it's the case, all you'd have to do is allow the lender to approve you (credit check, income verification, etc) to "assume" the mortgage as it is. There's not even an appraisal needed.

No I don't believe it was as at the time the original loan was taken out it was a 2nd home mortgage for my parents as they owned a primary residence at the time.  Which is part of the reason we had to take out an ARM etc 

Thanks to everyone else for their ideas.  I heard back from someone at the bank today finally.  Their suggestion was to go through a lawyer to have the title put in my name.  Once that was done I would apply for either a home equity loan or LOC and use that to pay off the current mortgage.

The pluses to this would be the loan criteria is not as strict.  They pull only from EQ (my best report) rather than all 3 like a regular mortgage would.  No closing costs.  (bank will pay up to $750 & they said the costs average $600) No money down required. 

Does anyone see any downside to this?  I talked at length with her about my income, credit score, etc  I have to talk it over with my parents and see what they want to do and then she will run some numbers for us.  I don't really know if an equity loan or LOC is the better way to go.  Any thoughts??  The one thing about keeping this with the same bank as that when she sends the paperwork for approval she can include all the details about the situation including that I'm the one that has been making all the payments for 12 1/2 years on this loan.  I have cancelled checks that prove this was paid by a check on my checking account. 

Kind of an interesting way to buy a house and seems much less stressful than what I read people are going through on here.  Does anyone know what paperwork an equity loan/LOC will require?

Message 15 of 20
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

The Equity loan or LOC may seem less stressful but it will probably have a higher rate.

I would seriously consider the FHA with the gift of equity.  You would probably qualify with your scores because your down payment will be so high.  You can easily work the numbers so 1) you have no out of pocket expenses 2) your parents will not have to pay anything 3) your loan amount may be a bit higher to cover the amount of closing costs 4) You can either go with the 15 year loan or a 30 year and make higher payments to pay it off in 17 years as planned.

You need to consult a tax advisor and find a good loan officer who understands how to structure the numbers.  I think this would be a pretty easy loan to get done if structured correctly.

Also, double check on giving the gift individually to you and your spouse and separately from each parent.  I think that may be a way around the gift and taxes.

Another thing, besides the possible higher rate, when the deed changes names the lender has the right to call a loan due and payable.  I wouldn't necessarily look for the easist way as much as I would look at the best and most legal way.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 16 of 20
mt2va
Established Contributor

I guess my wording was a poor choice.  But if you go back & read my earlier posts a loan is not feasible because #1 I have no down payment, #2 I could not qualify credit wise pulling all 3 bureaus, #3 they won't do a loan for $33,000, etc 

I know in most instances on here people are told if they can't do this then its not time for a home yet but our situation is a little different.  We are already able to afford the house note, insurance, taxes, etc as we have been paying them ourselves for 13 years now. 

I know the interest rate will be higher but that is due to my credit issues.  I don't think we are trying to do anything that is illegal.  The bank itself called and told me this option as well as at least one other poster on this thread mentioned the same idea.

Message 17 of 20
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

@mt2va wrote:

I guess my wording was a poor choice.  But if you go back & read my earlier posts a loan is not feasible because #1 I have no down payment, #2 I could not qualify credit wise pulling all 3 bureaus, #3 they won't do a loan for $33,000, etc 

I know in most instances on here people are told if they can't do this then its not time for a home yet but our situation is a little different.  We are already able to afford the house note, insurance, taxes, etc as we have been paying them ourselves for 13 years now. 

I know the interest rate will be higher but that is due to my credit issues.  I don't think we are trying to do anything that is illegal.  The bank itself called and told me this option as well as at least one other poster on this thread mentioned the same idea.

Your down payment is the gift of equity.  Because of the amount of equity you/your parents have I really think you could get an approval with FHA thru DU or LP.  Your hurdle is finding a lender that will do the loan amount.  Have you tried going directly to a mortgage lender instead of a bank?  You need to consult a tax advisor and find a loan officer who knows how to structure this.  I really don't think it will be as difficult as what you are thinking.

I can't remember exactly what you said the value was but just as an example of $84,000...then you both receive gifts of equity from your parents totaling $44000.  Your loan amount would be $40000.  This would include your closing costs and the payoff of the current mortgage.  Your loan to value would only be 48%.  Based on that I really think it would be approved thru automated underwriting.  As far as the gift, with a little research on the IRS website you can probably find your answer.  I'm sure if you look you can find a lender who will do that loan amount.  A little more research could possibly save you money in the long run.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 18 of 20
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

I think a broker is your best bet because of the different lenders they KNOW whom to send your file too!

But, I am not sure lenders will even consider doing mtg loans below 50k

Message 19 of 20
mt2va
Established Contributor

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  Looks like we are back to trying to figure out something else.  Talked to the lady from the bank again on Monday & she told me they only had 15 year equity loans & LOC even though previously she told me 20 year & 30 year were available.  The 15 year loan is higher interest rate & would make our monthly payment go up almost $100/month which we just can not afford right now. 

If anyone can think of anything else I'm keeping a notebook with various ideas & will continue to check into them. 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.