cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use money for down payment or pay off debt??

tag
dianna98

use money for down payment or pay off debt??

Hi everyone,
I am in the process of becoming mortgage eligible and will have my report pulled on November 19. My current FICO score is 643. I have one open collection account with a balance of $2500. I have spoke with the bank and was told that this does not need to be paid off since I have been in a recurring payment plan with them for over a year now, I make biweekly payments of $64. I am currently able to make extra money from overtime at work. So my question is should I try to pay it off quicker or save the extra money for down payment on a home? The reason I was thinking pay off the debt is a sales counselor told me that every $100 per month I can free up allows my to purchase about $18k more in home. What do you all think?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: use money for down payment or pay off debt??

You need to be planning for closing costs as well as your downpayment, and to have 2 to 6 months of reserves post-closing, IMO. If the lender isn't worried about the trade-line, then your focus should be on the mortgage.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 2 of 3
TTR79
Established Member

Re: use money for down payment or pay off debt??

^^^^I agree with Elcid89
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.