Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wanting to buy a bit bigger house

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

wanting to buy a bit bigger house

So we have lived in our current home for 11 years and now would like to buy a bigger house in our same neighborhood but am at a loss on how one sells and buys at the same time.  I don't see us as landlords and we would like the equity from the sell of this home to put down on the other home.  Do we just go for it and hurry and list this one at perhaps a bit lower price for a quicker sale or what?  How do people 'move up'?  I can now see why people stay in the same house for 50 years, it's stressful just thinking about it all. Smiley Happy  Thanks for any advice or ideas you may have.  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: wanting to buy a bit bigger house

@Anonymous wrote:

So we have lived in our current home for 11 years and now would like to buy a bigger house in our same neighborhood but am at a loss on how one sells and buys at the same time.  I don't see us as landlords and we would like the equity from the sell of this home to put down on the other home.  Do we just go for it and hurry and list this one at perhaps a bit lower price for a quicker sale or what?  How do people 'move up'?  I can now see why people stay in the same house for 50 years, it's stressful just thinking about it all. Smiley Happy  Thanks for any advice or ideas you may have.  

It is easier than it may appear!  Talk to Realtors in your area and yes, it is normal to sell first. When you have a solid contract on your home you can make an offer on a home to purchase contingent upon the closing of your home. Sometimes you can even negotiate in "post closing possession by the seller" (you) if there is a week or two difference between the sale of your home and the closing of the next one.  Reallly depends on your actual market that's why I said to speak to (experienced) Realtors in your area. Believe me, most people need the funds from the sale of their home to purchase the next one.  Every once in a while someone can keep the existing home and buy the move up property without selling first, but that is not as common. 

Message 2 of 4
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

We sold and then built, so we did the apartment thing for a little over half a year. I would not recommend it. Smiley Frustrated

Agree with the PP about the scenario, but do know that the contigency may be an issue with getting the seller to accept your offer, depending on the market. We were in a position where, when we first chose an area to move to and were looking at available homes, things were so limited and went SO quickly in the development we wanted that any contigency beyond a home inspection essentially made making an offer a moot point. Things would typically be under contract before they even came up on the MLS listings. No joke. So sellers had their pick of the litter, and our agent basically told us our offer w/contingencies wouldn't be very attractive.

If you aren't in the hot a market, though, make an offer contingent on the sale of your current home is not uncommon at all.

Message 3 of 4
krielly
Established Contributor

done it twice, most recently 2 years ago.

It's a bit stressful, but it can be done.

A good realtor can advise you on the process. Be prepared for "unexpected" things to come up. Coordination is key and having an AWESOME Experienced Agent who can handle this is key!

a couple of things

1.  any offer you make on another home is a lot stronger if you already have your current home under contract. So your contingency would be on closing of your home going through, vs you still needing to sell. Our agent really discouraged us from making any offers until ours was under contract.

2. Have a back up plan for temporary living arrangements. the timing of everything is tricky and you may need a place to stay in between closings........(despite best laid plans)!!!

Good luck

K

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.