Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what does a broker do?

tag
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

what does a broker do?

Do you contact a broker and the builders' preferred lender?

Starting Score: FICO TU 591 FICO EX 581 FICO EQ 555
Current Score: FICO TU 662 FICO EX 652 FICO EQ 643
Goal Score: 700 CLUB

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU nRewards $20K Cap1 Secured $500 NFCU LOC $15K TJX $250 BOA $500
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: what does a broker do?

A mortgage broker connects you with a lender and takes a commission.  Even with their commission included, they may be able to find you a better rate than you can find on your own because of the wide network of lenders they have access to.

If you don't go with the preferred lender, you may lose out on incentives, so you will have to factor that into the cost of choosing one product over the other.

I think you should get quotes from the preferred lender, a broker, and a few banks/CUs that you find on your own.  If you're concerned about multiple credit pulls, a reputable lender should be able to tell you what kind of rate they can offer based on your scores without running your reports.  They will of course have to run them at some point, but if you already have a trimerge report from one lender, you can ask another lender what rates they can offer based on those scores.

Also, if you're organized about it and approach them all within a short period of time, only one of the pulls will be scored.  Still, you may prefer to not let everyone run your reports because there is a chance they could run additional pulls at a later time, which could impact your score.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

great explanation above.

i usually suggest that people deal with a lender who has inhouse underwiting and closing/funding as opposed to a broker who sends your file out... some brokers have this ability

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 9
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

Thanks for the detailed explanation. The builder has four preferred lenders. If I go with one of them they are offering $4K towards closing. Now, the builder told me the homes fall into the FHA condo group. Will this impact the rate as well?

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU nRewards $20K Cap1 Secured $500 NFCU LOC $15K TJX $250 BOA $500
Message 4 of 9
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

I am going through a broker. I really like him, he is available, pays attention to detail, and explains every step before we take it. I was thinking about going to NFCU to see if they could offer anything better, but they are not an approved lender for my program. Smiley Sad

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 9
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

Is he paid through the sale? I thought about NFCU but I don't want to have too many products with them...Eventually, after obtaining a mortgage I want to get an auto loan through them.

Message 6 of 9
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Brokers get paid at the closing - they work their fee into thee rate just like the banks do - as mentioned above the real downside these days with a broker is that they do not underwrite in house --their loans all get sent out - Brokers are kind of dying off - new Fed Regs have made it very difficult for them to stay solvent. They are out there - Personally I wopuld work with whomever treats you the best and makes you feel comfortable - asking questions and getting answers will take a ton of stress off of you - if you cannot get a response I would find someone that will. 

Good Luck

B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 7 of 9
Down_2Bizness
Regular Contributor

Would you recommend a correspondent lender whodo everything locally and after closing package the loan up with a bunch of other similar ones and sell them to ultimate investor?

Starting Score: EQ FICO 566 09/30/13
Current Score: EQ FICO 688 3/10/14 TU FICO 680 3/10/14 (Barclaycard) EX FICO 691 1/12/14 (LP)
Goal Score: 700
My Wallet: Capital One $1500 / Wells Fargo $1600 / J Crew $2050 / Victoria's Secret $2300 / Barclay Apple Financing Visa $2500 / Discover It $1700 / Home Depot $1100 / Delta Skymiles AmEx $1000

Message 8 of 9
Down_2Bizness
Regular Contributor

Got some typos above. I really do know how to ask a question but have the hardest time editing replies from my ipad! Smiley Mad

Starting Score: EQ FICO 566 09/30/13
Current Score: EQ FICO 688 3/10/14 TU FICO 680 3/10/14 (Barclaycard) EX FICO 691 1/12/14 (LP)
Goal Score: 700
My Wallet: Capital One $1500 / Wells Fargo $1600 / J Crew $2050 / Victoria's Secret $2300 / Barclay Apple Financing Visa $2500 / Discover It $1700 / Home Depot $1100 / Delta Skymiles AmEx $1000

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.