Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what if I get married during the approval process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what if I get married during the approval process

Hi just a question...my actual husband apply for a usda loan...we being living together for 4years but he applied as a single man..they ask for all my information like pay stub w_2 ect to ck my income and be sure that we don't pas the limit..after two months we finally got tthe "clear to close"...but now we're married...we told them...did anybody knows if we have to start everything again?the loan still just under his name...and they know since the beginning that we live together and the plans of getting married...thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: what if I get married during the approval process

It doesn't make any difference at all.

If the mortgage was only in his name all along, it doesn't matter if he marries during the approval process.  He still has the same debt, credit score, and obligations as he did before.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Only difference it'd make is if you are in a community property state, then since you are now married your debts would count against what he could qualify for.  Other than that, no difference other than updating the application to mark "married" and if you are going to be on title you would hold title as "husband & wife".

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I feel much better now...just a question do we have to submit everything again to usda...cause we're suppose to close this coming Tuesday...and the people from the title company said that they need to ask them to see if we can still closing...but like I said before they know since the beginning that we live together and they have all my income information

Message 4 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It shouldn't impact the approval you have from USDA, unless you are in a community property state.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!! I'm not in a community property state..but the told me that the need to re-submit the application as a married man just like u told me..my question now is...did u know how long it will take to come back?there's any chance that they change the approval? Do we have to wait 3 weeks as the beginning?my closing was supposed to be today and I leave the rental house next Tuesday so I'm very worried..we have kids and a lot of stuff..please some help..thanks
Message 6 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

May just add a day to the process... really doesn't change much other than how you are going to hold title and a checkbox on the application.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.