Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when getting a conventional loan?

tag
oracles
Valued Contributor

when getting a conventional loan?

What is the least amount can you have as a downpayment?  I know FHA it is 3% but with a conventional, can you give a 5% downpayment, if not what is the least % amount? thanks
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: when getting a conventional loan?

3% still in some cases -

5% in most cases 10% in a declining market

We dont see nearly as many conventional loans with higher LTV's these days as the MIP on FHA is less

We did see better pricing today for conventional though and they had been staying pretty much the same

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 6
Valued Contributor

Oh and FHA goes to 3.5% Jan 1
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 6
oracles
Valued Contributor

thanks Brian, so if i went to a bank, some banks will let you just put 3 or 5% as a downpayment. Just trying to get clarification. Also, can you just explain what is earnest money? thanks
Message 4 of 6
Valued Contributor

You have to qualify for the Flex 97% loan to get the 3%

the 5%  is where you will probably end up

Earnest money is what is submitted with your offer to show you are serious - it is money that is held by escrow until the close - it can be at risk if you default. The amount varies with price and region - it is not set in stone

Brian

Message 5 of 6
oracles
Valued Contributor

thanks brian, you have been a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate your patience and teachings.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.