Established Contributor
jcstarkey8826

where to start?

I recently got my scores where they need to be for USDA requirements. Now Im ready to start shopping, as I am looking for a short sale, It should take some time before the actual closing or getting an accepted offer.

I DONT KNOW WHERE TO GO? Do I go to a broker, a loan officer, a realtor? where do I start the process. This forum is really the only place I can ask to get someone with experience.

Who typically works harder, deals with below average credit the best, is most cost efficient, etc.

so basically, If you did USDA short sale, where did you start and did you get the results you wanted?

Thanks in advance for any advice on the topic :smileyhappy:

In my wallet: GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL, Charter One Platinum Rewards 500 CL, Chase Freedom 800 CL, Wal Mart Discover Card 6300 CL, Kay Jewelers 3000 CL
Senior Contributor
Booner72

Re: where to start?

First you need a preapproval letter because an agent isn't going to work with you without one.  If you don't know ANYONE who is either a lender or agent, or don't know anyone who is, then we can send you referrals.

I used Academy Mortgage and they are a mortgage banker - they loan the money in house, then resell it.  They do USDA loans.  I am in Oregon, and if you are, I will give you my loan officer's name.  If you aren't in OR, just make sure they work in your state.   A broker/banker is better than a bank, IMO, as they have more options.

Word of mouth is the best referral...got anyone at work or your family who has a referral?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Super Contributor
DallasLoanGuy

Talk to friends/relatives/co-workers..... ask who they used for a loan and if they were happy. The loan officer will know a good realtor to send you to

or

Contact a realtor... they will know some good lenders.

* While I try to visit the forum often, please feel free to contact me directly with a link to your post if I fail to answer a follow up question.

* Lending across the entire 'Great State of Texas' since 2004
Established Contributor
jcstarkey8826

[ Edited ]

So a co-worker of mine referred me to a broker with short sale experience. I called yesterday and he was very helpful, answering all of my questions and giving me a ballpark on how much home I could borrow. (which is more than Im looking to buy) so I was excited. Then he asked about my score and I told him I only knew TU and was hovering right at the score to get approved. He said he wanted to get me around 660 before we put in the application. I stopped asking questions for fear of feeling dumb, and just said ok.

I thought USDA streamline was 620? Is it different for every broker?  I was excited because 620 is no problem for me to hit before winter, but 660 is pushing it a little and makes me nervous. Should I contact another broker and find someone willing to work with 620? or do they usually just suggest 660 for ease? Ill find out for sure before I apply, just wondering if anyone ran into this with USDA.

and thanks for the replies guys.

Booner, I live in Michigan, but thanks for the help. I will be seeking pre approval as soon as some issues ive taken care of (CO deletion, util drop) shows on all reports.

In my wallet: GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL, Charter One Platinum Rewards 500 CL, Chase Freedom 800 CL, Wal Mart Discover Card 6300 CL, Kay Jewelers 3000 CL

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+