Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will goodwill letters hurt my score?

tag
bhca
Established Member

will goodwill letters hurt my score?

I faxed two GW letters today to CA's I paid over 3 years ago in hopes of boosting my score from 670 to at least 680. I only have 1,200 in cc left snd 9k in student loans so I figure the collections are holding me back. I'm worried the GW letters will show up as s dispute but I had to try.Do they show as disputes?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: will goodwill letters hurt my score?

maybe ask in the credit section

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 7
foofighter74
Established Contributor

I sent a gw letter to Volkswagen earlier this year to "forgive" a 30 day late listed in october 2010.  They basically said no. That was that.  No dispute every showed up on the credit report.

Message 3 of 7
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

Goodwill letters don't usually end up as disputes.  I think it depends on the company.  Either way, the dispute won't technically hurt your score.

Message 4 of 7
pakman92
Established Contributor

@Adalen wrote:

Goodwill letters don't usually end up as disputes.  I think it depends on the company.  Either way, the dispute won't technically hurt your score.

This is correct.  It will not hurt your score, but some creditors (for me it was Cap One) will take most goodwill letters (even if you make it clear that you are not disputing) will  report it as dispute and you'll end up with "account previously disputed by consumer" notation.  This will not affect your score, but may catch an underwriter of your mortage in some cases...

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 5 of 7
miltown81
New Contributor

@bhca wrote:
I faxed two GW letters today to CA's I paid over 3 years ago in hopes of boosting my score from 670 to at least 680. I only have 1,200 in cc left snd 9k in student loans so I figure the collections are holding me back. I'm worried the GW letters will show up as s dispute but I had to try.Do they show as disputes?

No. I sent a GW letter about 1.5 years ago and they removed the negative from my CR right away. Now, that was lucky but it was a locally based collection agency and they treated me like a neighbor. However, I also had one rejected years ago and there is no history of it with the CB's. Any correspondence stays with the company you sent it to. Always try them as it can greatly help your score!

Starting Score: 711
Current Score: 819
Goal Score: 820

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
jocleveland
Regular Contributor

I hope one of them wasn't Midland. If you call and ask for the correct time it turns into a dispute.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.