Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13% Interest on an Unsecured Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

13% Interest on an Unsecured Loan

Credit scores are in th high 700s. Is it a good deal, or a bad one? I am new at this, but thought that it is kind of high. Should I shop around for a better lender (this was a Discover loan, I also have a credit card in good standing with them). Help!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 13% Interest on an Unsecured Loan

Unless there's something in your profile that would scare a lender, that is high for scores in the upper 700's.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Bank is running a promo for 7.99 % on unsecured personal loans for memorial day Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

That definitely seems high. With those scores I would think you.would get an awesome rate with a Credit Union. Search the threads for info on PenFed loans for example.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

13% is very high for an unsecured loan at your scores. A couple of years back I took out a $12,000 unsecured personal loan and had 5% interest.

Message 5 of 10
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

A few months ago we decided to car shop. Lightstream gave us $20K at 2.49% fixed unsecured. We still haven't bought a car. Basically, the money is ours to do with whatever....

13% is high for your scores. I have credit cards at 6.15 variable and 7.9 fixed.

Message 6 of 10
iv
Valued Contributor

@Turbobuick wrote:

A few months ago we decided to car shop. Lightstream gave us $20K at 2.49% fixed unsecured. We still haven't bought a car. Basically, the money is ours to do with whatever....

No.

Yeah, LightStream is nice about giving auto loans without the loan being secured by the vehicle... but:

What restrictions are there on how I can use the proceeds of my loan?

You are required to use your loan proceeds for the loan purpose that you selected in your loan application.  

In addition, please note that (1) you may not use your loan proceeds to refinance an existing LightStream loan, (2) we are currently unable to provide loans for the funding of college or post-secondary educational expenses or refinance loans that were used for such purposes, and, (3) you may not use your loan for business purposes.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 7 of 10
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@iv wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

No.

Yeah, LightStream is nice about giving auto loans without the loan being secured by the vehicle... but:

What restrictions are there on how I can use the proceeds of my loan?

You are required to use your loan proceeds for the loan purpose that you selected in your loan application.  

In addition, please note that (1) you may not use your loan proceeds to refinance an existing LightStream loan, (2) we are currently unable to provide loans for the funding of college or post-secondary educational expenses or refinance loans that were used for such purposes, and, (3) you may not use your loan for business purposes.

You can rest easy knowing that at some future point we will be buying a car and, during our extended search, we will continue to make car payments.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're a fool if you take 13% interest with a 700 score, thats mob loan figures.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is 12.5% my scores are mid 700 I got a $1500 loan for 36 months
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.