Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

39 days left.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

39 days left.

Who is on track to meet 2014's contribution. 5.5 check in. I just reached 3k this week. I was hoping the market would dip a little and waited and waited, but no. I realized that's just dumb and not worth effort or time counting pennies when I'm doing this for the long haul. I'll probably have to carry a balance for a month first time ever to meet this goal, which I have rationalized as times like this is why I started learning about credit and get out of my credit phobia. But I hopefully I will meet this goal, as I have my mothers property taxes to think about in april too.. Who else is on track?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 39 days left.

@Anonymous wrote:

Who is on track to meet 2014's contribution. 5.5 check in. I just reached 3k this week. I was hoping the market would dip a little and waited and waited, but no. I realized that's just dumb and not worth effort or time counting pennies when I'm doing this for the long haul. I'll probably have to carry a balance for a month first time ever to meet this goal, which I have rationalized as times like this is why I started learning about credit and get out of my credit phobia. But I hopefully I will meet this goal, as I have my mothers property taxes to think about in april too.. Who else is on track?

I'm not, but I will be. This will be my first year doing it. My credit is on track and I have an emergency fund so now it's time for me to build for retirement.

Message 2 of 8
kjel
Established Contributor

I just transferred the last $1K towards the $5.5K max. Invested that into 9 shares of QQQ. By contributing to the 2014 IRA I was able to increase my tax refund by $1,100 Smiley Happy I deposited by $3,750 refund into 2015's IRA like a good girl.
Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 3 of 8
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

lol I'm on track to hit my $18K 401k contribution at the end of next month, thanks IRS!

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats awesome you guys! I just transfered another 1k today to meet the max 5.5. I'm extremely happy with my choice to prioritize retirement savings. I had to put my push for saving for a house on hold since january to meet the goal though. Anddd I will be carrying a balance for the first time. EVAR. Just to meet this goal. lol. I wish I was smart enough to figure this out on my own a long time ago. I went years without even caring. Tony, I wish I could swing those 401k savings. 18k. I thought it was 17k. Either way, dang.

Message 5 of 8
nightglider
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats awesome you guys! I just transfered another 1k today to meet the max 5.5. I'm extremely happy with my choice to prioritize retirement savings. I had to put my push for saving for a house on hold since january to meet the goal though. Anddd I will be carrying a balance for the first time. EVAR. Just to meet this goal. lol. I wish I was smart enough to figure this out on my own a long time ago. I went years without even caring. Tony, I wish I could swing those 401k savings. 18k. I thought it was 17k. Either way, dang.

It was 17.5k for the past two years, but was recently increased this year. 401(k)s and IRAs are both reviewed for increased limits every year.

Message 6 of 8
kjel
Established Contributor

It's $18K on 401K contributions as long as your earnings are below the IRS threshold. While I could do that via my employer, I simply do not like the investment options we have to be putting all my eggs there. I'm ok with my 10% contribution there and how its allocated, but I like being able to chose my own options through my brokerage account.
Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm inspired. My employer actually has some pretty good funds. I'm at 6% now. May try to see how high I get it before it hurts. Raise it to 8%.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.