cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Consumer Credit Debt Management Program ( ACCC DMP) - My Experience so far

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Consumer Credit Debt Management Program ( ACCC DMP) - My Experience so far

Hello!

Long time lurker who finally decided to make an account and contribute :smileyhappy. I wanted to share my story so far because i personally have not found many posts on this forum (or others) that talk about experiences with a debt management program. 

In November 2014 after realizing i was no longer treading water i was starting to sink i started frantically searching for debt solutions online. I tried looking for reviews or posts on other peoples experiences and after days i came across  a reference to American Consumer Credit Counseling http://www.consumercredit.com/ . I decided to call them ad see what they had to say, they were my starting point so i did not have high expectations. I called on a week night after work and the lady i spoke to said that there was a list of questions i would have to answer to determine whether the program would be right for me and that it would like 30-45 minutes.

She wasnt kidding, she asked a ton of  questions about my financial situation as she was filing in a budget work sheet which she used to determine whether DM or bankruptcy would be right for me. Here is the section of my worksheet related to monthly expenses so you can see what information she wanted regarding my monthly household budget (please note the numbers here are after we discussed each expense and how we could lower it (e.g: my phone bill was originally $140 and i said i could remove a feature and save $15):

EXPENSES:

Household Expenses: Weekly Monthly     

Auto (Gas & Maintenance) $23.09 $100.00      

Auto Insurance $0.00 $0.00        

Cable $28.87 $125.00      

Child Daycare/Activities $0.00 $0.00        

Child Support Payments $0.00 $0.00        

Clothing $11.78 $51.00        

Contributions $0.46 $2.00        

Education Expense (class fees, school supplies) $9.24 $40.00        

Entertainment $13.86 $60.00        

Gifts $0.00 $0.00        

Grocery Expense $46.19 $200.00        

Home/Renters Insurance $0.00 $0.00

Household Items $11.55 $50.00    

Laundry/Dry Cleaning $3.46 $15.00       

Life Insurance $0.00 $0.00      

Medical (Dr./Dentist & Prescriptions) $0.00 $0.00      

Misc $0.00 $0.00        

Misc 2 $0.00 $0.00       

Misc 3 $0.00 $0.00      

Personal Care $0.00 $0.00  

Savings $1.15 $5.00      

Telephone $28.87 $125.00    

Utilities $18.48 $80.00      

Total Household Expenses $197.00 $853.00

After determining my monthly expenses we then reviewed all my open credit/loans and after giving her how much i owed each, the APR and current minimum payments she told me how much they PROPOSED my minimum payments will be brought down to for each creditor(this is very important: just because they propose does not mean this is the actually final number!) Below is the proposal plan, please note these are not the original figures as some creditors back back and said they were too low they needed to be increased by a few dollars (think $5-$10, not  a big number):

Unsecured Debt and Program Payment:     

Unsecured Debt (proposed program payments):   

Bank of America - VISA (RPS) $9.93 $43.00

Capital One (RPS) $3.46 $15.00

Capital One (RPS) $3.46 $15.00

Citibank - Mastercard (2) (RPS) $4.62 $20.00  

Discover Card (RPS) $29.33 $127.00  

GAP / Synchrony (RPS) $17.55 $76.00   

Macy's - All Divisions / Citibank (RPS) $8.78 $38.00  

OneMain Financial  $25.87 $112.00        

PayPal Buyer Credit / Synchrony (RPS) $15.94 $69.00  

Target VISA (RPS) $19.63 $85.00        

Wal-Mart Dual Card / Synchrony (RPS) $16.86 $73.00       

Total Payment for Program Creditors $155.43 $673.00   

ACCC Maintenance $8.08 $35.00

Total ACCC Program Payment $163.51 $708.00

Originally she said that the proposed payment plan should be  $672 if proposal is accepted as is, but after negotiating with everyone during the enrollment process the payment is now $708 each month as you see above.And yes ACCC charges $35 a month. There is a one time enrollment fee of $35 as well so keep in mind your first payment will include an additional $35 (you can also have the one time fee billed on a separate date if your cash strapped which is what  i did).

So to summarize everything nicely, here is the initial budget we devised: 

BUDGET SUMMARY:

Employment Income: Weekly Monthly         

Total Net Income $706.93 $3,061.00          

Less: Household Expenses $197.00 $853.00     

Less: Secured Debt $346.42 $1,500.00      

Less: Non-Program Unsecured Debt $4.62 $20.00       

Less: ACCC Program Payment $163.51 $708.00

Total Disposable Income / (Deficit) ($4.62) ($20.00)

Yes i realize there is a $20 deficit. She did advise me of it and told me i would need to find a way to reduce one or more of my 

household debts to make up for it. I ended up changing my cable plan (it is now $117) and my phone plan (now $92) which erased that. 

Here are the payment details for the program, you can either send them a check monthly or you can have them withdraw it from your acct,  opted for the account withdrawal.

PROGRAM PAYMENT SUMMARY:

Month Scheduled to Begin Program: January 2014

Total Monthly Payment Due to ACCC $708.00

Date Payment Due to ACCC: 2nd of each month

Date Payment Disbursed to Creditors: 10th of each month

And here is what i would have been paying if i coninued paying just minimums

on my own vs enrolled:

Last Payment Date: 2/24/2037  vs 1/24/2018  

Number Of Payments: 264 vs 35 

Total Paid: $55,870.60 vs $24,049.01 (savings: $31,821.59)

Interest Paid: $33,196.39 vs$1,365.77 (savings: $31,830.62)  

I have been enrolled in the program for a year now, so fa so good. The only hiccups i had were in the initial sign up period. As i mentioned i called them in November, i believe it was a week before thanksgiving. The first payment was withdrawn on December 2nd, ACCC had started the process of contacting the creditors and notifying them of my enrollment but they had not yet accepted any proposal. On December 10th ACCC made the minimum payments that are listed above on the proposal to each creditor. I was responsible to pay the balance that was owed if my minimum payment was actually a larger amount then what is listed above. In addition, in November when i signed up i was given a sheet which told me which creditors to call and close the accounts with, which ones to keep open and adjust the due dates on based on the disbursements. So any accounts that had a due date after 10th were not changed. 

I forgot to mention, i was advised that i should close specific accounts (BOA should not be closed for example, they will close it for me. She did not explain why she said it was BOA's rules that the acct be open for enrollment)but ultimately all accounts enrolled will be closed. I have read some posts which state they are required to close all credit accts to join the DMP, this was not required of me as she told me to keep my overdraft protection open (it is also not included in above worksheet). 

I have written a novel so i will stop now lol. If i think of anything i will add to it otherwise i doubt i will have an update any time soon. Of course if anyone has questions i will answer to the best of my ability. Again the purpose of my post is for anyone else who was searching for information and could not find it.

Addding this after writing this loong post: i copied some charts from ACCC but myfico did not like th html so it was removed. only text was left and i was too tired to do better.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
syeb
Regular Contributor

Re: American Consumer Credit Debt Management Program ( ACCC DMP) - My Experience so far

Congrats on taking the step to CC sanity. I was in the same boat (the one with the hole in it and slowly sinking!) when I discovered ACCC back in 2010. The program went flawlessly and I just completed it in January of this year. Yes the monthly payments were far higher than my minimums but if I hadn't taken that step I would still be deep in the hole today.

ACCC was great and any time I called, they were understanding, helpful, and non-judgemental. Basically the traits I like about most people on these message boards.Smiley Happy

Good luck to you in completing the plan. 

Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Consumer Credit Debt Management Program ( ACCC DMP) - My Experience so far

Thanks! and im glad to hear you had good experiences with them from start to finish. I haven't had to call on them more than twice but it has always been a good experience. I am 1 yr in and yes the monthly payment is high but it is lower then what i was paying before when i was just paying minimums. Do you mind me asking if your credit score increases by the end? When i signed up my scoredropped from 640 range to 560 range. I am now back in the same range. I am hoping my score gets up to 690-700 range by the end of the year but i dont know if that is realistic or not.

Message 3 of 31
syeb
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks! and im glad to hear you had good experiences with them from start to finish. I haven't had to call on them more than twice but it has always been a good experience. I am 1 yr in and yes the monthly payment is high but it is lower then what i was paying before when i was just paying minimums. Do you mind me asking if your credit score increases by the end? When i signed up my scoredropped from 640 range to 560 range. I am now back in the same range. I am hoping my score gets up to 690-700 range by the end of the year but i dont know if that is realistic or not.

When I began the program I was still never late and had no charge-offs or other derogatory marks on my credit report. So my creidt score was not terrible - just hit due to high utilization. I didn't really check it much back then but I recall it being in the 650-680 range throughout. Since I had a couple of older high limit cards that were not used and so not in the program, my utilization ratio has decreased with every payment. Additionally, the average account age hasn't been hit that bad. By the time I got to the end of the program it was 675-690. If all your cards are in the program, you may be showing a 100% utilization which would not be good for the score.

I forgot to mention that I actually ended the program about 7 months early when I paid the remaining balances. Since I had the older cards still open my scores almost instantly went to the 750 range.

Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the information. I did have some lates so i am sure thats why it tanked so badly but as i mentioned it has recovered slowly.

Message 5 of 31
sjt
Senior Contributor

When you complete the program do the creditors that are paid positively re-age the accounts?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 31
syeb
Regular Contributor

@sjt wrote:

When you complete the program do the creditors that are paid positively re-age the accounts?

Sorry I don't know. I had no lates or charge offs to be re-aged when I started the program. I do believe some creditors may re-age the accounts when you BEGIN the program. Perhaps another poster can verify. 

Message 7 of 31
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I am pretty sure your credit will be tanked after this, so hopefully you have did your research, may want to consult an financial attorney and discuss your options. It may be cheaper in the end to just file bankruptcy, a couple payments and its over, in 3 months or so you can start rebuilding what you had. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cautiously disagree based on my ongoing experience.

My scores initially dropped 30-50 points to 565-600 range but they are now in the  630-650 range.

And this week capital one increased the credit limit on my card (this card was acquired after i joined the program) from $500 to $2050. Prior to the program my two Cap ones each had $750 limit that Cap1 would always deny CLI on because of high utilization. So i think the program is helping.

I have opened 4 cards since enrolling with the goal of rebuilding -

credit one - the first card i opened, used and paid off in full each month

j crew - made one purchase and paid it off

onestopplus- made one purchase and paid it off

Cap 1 - use on regular, pay off in full each month which is why they gave me the $1500 increase rather then the $250 ncrease from being in the steps program.

I havent applied for any other cards or loans etc but i can tell you prior to the program i was denied pretty much every card i applied for, and could not get any CLI so this is an improvement.

And i feel bankruptcy should only be done when all other possibilities are exhausted. Gotta take responsibiltiy for your actions and not shirk it off to someone else. 

Message 9 of 31
compassion101
Established Contributor

I'm cautiously suspicious of these posts

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.