Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amortization Schedules

tag
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Amortization Schedules

Hi All!

I'm pretty good with math/numbers but am having a hard time building an amortization schedule that I need.

Here's the gist:

I took out a personal loan and one of the handy tools on their site was an amortization schedule that showed the interest savings by paying early, splitting the payments biweekly, making extra payments, etc. This caused me to remember that with simple interest, timing of payments is key and can save you tons of interest over the life of the loan. 

My 1st payment was due 2/19 in the amount of $233.55 of which $79.49 would have gone to principal and $154.06 to interest. 

I paid that payment on 1/31 in the amount of $233.55. Because of the timing, $166.97 went to principal and $66.58 to interest.

I would like to build an amortization schedule that allows me to reflect the benefit of early payments. Excel's templates inputs a formula for the date and you can't simply type in the date of the actual payment. 

Any clue how I can build this for myself?? Or do I just figure I'm paying around $5/day in interest and use that to estimate my P/I split each month?

Thanks!

oh FYI it is $8,500 at 21.75% I am about 35 points higher on EQ than when I took out the loan, but my last derog is coming off next month and mayyyybe I can refi this somewhere for a lower rate...

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Chris679
Established Contributor

Re: Amortization Schedules

The interest will be calculated daily at apr/365. Multiply that by seven and you have your interest for a week. APR divided by 12 would give you the interest per month but I like to calculate weekly since I pay installment loans weekly. I set up a easy spreadsheet with a column for starting principal, interest, payment and ending principal.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.