cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone get paid monthly and budget weekly?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone get paid monthly and budget weekly?

I'm trying to keep an eye on our everyday spending (Groceries, Dining Out, etc.) and have gone back to a plan that served me well a several years ago where I send $ to one account to save for infrequent expenses like property taxes and car registrations, one account to pay down debt, and then keep only the money I expect to be spent on everyday spending and predictable monthly bills (paid as soon as we get paid) in our main account. (What we haven't agreed on yet is what to do with paycheck overages. We end up with extra varying from a few dollars to a couple thousand in various months and I'm budgeting without it. It'll go to debt, home improvments, and/or travel, but we haven't come up with a plan yet.) 

Where I'm struggling is how to do my 'weeks'. My current thought is, since I tend to sit down and look at $ on Sundays, to have my budget week go Sun to Sat, and just have a few months have 5 weeks. I started 3/1 and just had my first 'week' go thru the 10th. Second one thru 17th. Most end/beginnings of months there will be a couple days technincally in the wrong month, but since I budget Sundays, I think that'll still work best. And the firs time there's a 5 week month will be May I think so I have some time to figure out if that'll work, and if I think I need to budget more that month, say taking some of that aforementioned 'extra' money for things that are spent weekly like groceries. 

Any thoughts? Suggestions? 

I'm not interested in hearing software/app/website ideas, I've used various things in the past. This'll be Excel based at least for now. 

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.