Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone use Simple.com bank?

tag
CreditOCDinCali
Regular Contributor

Anyone use Simple.com bank?

I was just approved for a Simple.com bank account. It's an online account and from the majority of reviews that I've read online, it seems to be a good bank. If you have or had an account with them can you tell me the pros and/or cons of a Simple.com bank account since it operates completely online?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone use Simple.com bank?

I had them (still have them, but don't use anymore).

The Goals feature is GREAT.  Basically an online envelope budgeting system for your checking account.  

The customer service is GREAT.

The web interface is GREAT.

The mobile app is GREAT.

I wanted to love them.

But, now that 99.9% of my spending is on credit cards, the features of the checking account just don't really apply to me.

They don't have paper checks.  I only have to send one out a month (rent)...and they DO have a service where they will mail out a paper check for you.  But I just cant bring myself to trust those services...my landlord is kinda crazy!

Like all online banks, no way to deposit cash.  Again, something I rarely have to do, but when I need to do it, can't do it with Simple.

They have been suuuuper slow with adding new features.  I desperatly wanted reoccuring goals (every month, make a Goal for Rent, for instance).  They say "Coming soon!" and it's been two years and nothing.

And at the begining, there were some scary instances where debit cards just didn't work.  One New Years Eve for instance.  That kinda SUCKED.

Like I said, I wanted to love them, but the cons outweighed the pros for me.  But I think they are doing great things, so I still follow them to see what they're up to, and when they might fit my needs again.

Let me know if you have any specific questions though and I'd be more then happy to see if I can answer!

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 2 of 4
CreditOCDinCali
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your feedback. My concern was the same as yours, regarding the check to the landlord. My payment has to be in by the 2nd day of the month or else I'm charged a $75 fee. I also got an account with my local credit union.. I think I'll test out Simple and see if it works for me or not, at least I have the Credit Union to fall back on.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

About I year ago I tried to apply on their site, but they weren't accepting any new clients. The whole snaffuu with debit cards i heard about, and I kinda find that unexceptable for a transaction bussiness. They are not a bank, they are strickly a middle man, albeit a middle man that is focused on great customer facing service for transactions via customer service, iphone apps, great website etc etc etc...

I seemed like a lot of fuss to purposefully insert a middle man when I generally try to simplify things. So I got a mint account to keep track of EVERYTHING. And mintbills for painless bill pay.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.