Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apping for NFCU and have a few questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apping for NFCU and have a few questions

Hello, I have a few questions on applying for NFCU using NL San Diego membership. 

1. On the actual application form, I read I was supposed to just write somewhere off to the side that I was a member of NL San Diego when it asks for my affiliation for membership, is this correct to just hand write that out to the side? Also, when I send them proof of my membership, the only thing I received from them was a receipt of payment and it says I will be assigned a chapter if I did not request one. Then underneath that sentence it says what I typed on the $25 application to join which is "San Diego". Will that be sufficient enough to prove my actual membership to the SD chapter?

2. On the app it also ask if I want a savings, checking or online banking account. I want a savings account, no checking. So what's the difference between checking acct and online banking account? I am trying to Decide if I just want savings or to get online banking too. I am joining for the opportunity to refinance my car at a much later date and to apply for a credit card now, if that information might help you help me make a decision?

any help with those questions would be great, thanks y'all!

By the way I actually went to a branch today and asked a few questions and was met with a road block. As soon as I mentioned trying to get in through NLSD, the gentleman speaking with me acted as if he was disapproving of this method of membership. He was verging on being snippy and handed me the app, and told me if I needed any further assistance I would have to go through headquarters and I was going to be a long, hard process to join with me living in Tx and I really should have applied at the SD branch office for best results. I must tell you, I'm not impressed with customer service. I didn't let it discourage me, but now I am here for help since he was very rude.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apping for NFCU and have a few questions

I wrote in the San Diego chapter off the side. Also I send the copy of the email from Navy League.
And I don't think there isn't any difference. I got both checking and savings. There isn't a fee to have the account like other banks.

The customer service I received yesterday was great!
Good luck
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. On the actual application form, I read I was supposed to just write somewhere off to the side that I was a member of NL San Diego when it asks for my affiliation for membership, is this correct to just hand write that out to the side?    

Yes, this is fine.  It was how I did it,

Also, when I send them proof of my membership, the only thing I received from them was a receipt of payment and it says I will be assigned a chapter if I did not request one. Then underneath that sentence it says what I typed on the $25 application to join which is "San Diego". Will that be sufficient enough to prove my actual membership to the SD chapter? 

I uploaded my email showing the SD information, along with a copy of my driver's liscence. It takes about a week or so for the application to be processed so be patient.

2. On the app it also ask if I want a savings, checking or online banking account. I want a savings account, no checking. So what's the difference between checking acct and online banking account?

You should be able to view you savings account online as part of their online banking.  A checking account isnt necessary.

By the way I actually went to a branch today and asked a few questions and was met with a road block. As soon as I mentioned trying to get in through NLSD, the gentleman speaking with me acted as if he was disapproving of this method of membership. He was verging on being snippy and handed me the app, and told me if I needed any further assistance I would have to go through headquarters and I was going to be a long, hard process to join with me living in Tx and I really should have applied at the SD branch office for best results. I must tell you, I'm not impressed with customer service. I didn't let it discourage me, but now I am here for help since he was very rude.

Some feel that by joinging through an associate memembership that was grandfather into being part of NFCU is 'cheating.'   I found the CSR's I have spoken to on line and via chat to be great.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies! I just sent my documents today so I guess I will give it some time as I read they are a bit backed up on processing apps right now. Wish me luck! I NEED to refinance my car and would LOVE a rewards CC with them!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.