Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA discontinuing ebanking accounts

tag
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

BOA discontinuing ebanking accounts

Smiley Mad Wish I knew the reason why BOA is discountinuing their ebanking services. Got a notice that my account will change to one of their pay accounts. Oh well time to move my money to another free checking account. Not that I can't afford it, I just really think it's stupid to pay for something that can be free. I don't care if there's ads on my banking website, just give me free checking.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
hyprble
Regular Contributor

Re: BOA discontinuing ebanking accounts

Yeah, I'm also annoyed at the changes.  I have about $17 in rewards on my BoA card, so I'm going to wait until I have $25, transfer the rewards +10% bonus into checking, then close out the account.  I contacted BoA on chat, and they said I won't get charged to close my account in a branch, but I don't trust them anymore - should I empty out my account electronically to another bank or just go to a branch and ask to close the account and give me a check?

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally. Didn't understand why some people got free checking accounts. Glad no one is getting free products.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the problem with getting free checking? All my accounts are free.
Message 4 of 8
SCF
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Finally. Didn't understand why some people got free checking accounts. Glad no one is getting free products.

It's actually still fairly simple to find a free checking account.  There are online options like Ally and CapitalOne360, and quite a few regional banks and credit unions still offer free checking as well.  If you're paying for a checking account, you really should take a look at what's out there and make sure you're getting a good value.  Personally I combine an online account (Ally) with a savings account at Wells Fargo to handle cash deposits.  The WF account only requires a $300 balance to avoid the monthly fee, so it's very easy to keep it free.

Message 5 of 8
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@HenryJumbo wrote:

Smiley Mad Wish I knew the reason why BOA is discountinuing their ebanking services. Got a notice that my account will change to one of their pay accounts. Oh well time to move my money to another free checking account. Not that I can't afford it, I just really think it's stupid to pay for something that can be free. I don't care if there's ads on my banking website, just give me free checking.

Among my favorite free checking accounts are the Discover cash back checking and Fidelity Cash Management Account which I use only as checking account Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

I use Fidelity Cash Management for my primary checking and a BofA savings for cash deposits and Better Balance Rewards bonus.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't get any notices. Maybe because my direct deposit goes into there? the dd goes into there and gets tranferred to another investment account. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.