Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backdoor to join BECU?

tag
Expansion
Regular Contributor

Backdoor to join BECU?

Anyone know a backdoor way to join BECU?

I was able to join Navy Federal using the San Diego Navy League membership letter, but haven't been able to find a backdoor for BECU.  

(I just called them and they said it's not possible to join under the "Museum of Flight" option unless you're an employee.) 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Backdoor to join BECU?

@Expansion wrote:

Anyone know a backdoor way to join BECU?

I was able to join Navy Federal using the San Diego Navy League membership letter, but haven't been able to find a backdoor for BECU.  

(I just called them and they said it's not possible to join under the "Museum of Flight" option unless you're an employee.) 

This has been discussed before on the board several times. BECU is designed solely to serve Washington state residents and their families, and there is no backdoor. You must live, work or attend school in Washington State, or have an eligible family member who lives there. Former Boeing employees and current Boeing employees may also join.

It is very community-based and plans to stay that way.

I am a BECU member and my daughter lives and works in Washington State; she also attended school there. You must be a WA resident to join or have an eligible family member who lives there.

Message 2 of 5
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Just curious, is BECU any good?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kevinjjc wrote:

Just curious, is BECU any good?

BECU is outstanding! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, they're pretty awesome. My grandpa worked at Boeing, so my family started with BECU from way back when membership was only for Boeing employees and their families. I'm a third generation member! Smiley Happy

Some examples of awesomeness:

• They gave me a credit card with my requested limit ($750, I was clueless) back when I had ZERO credit score whatsoever and no job, just a $700/month fixed income.
  • When my checking/savings accounts overdrafted due to automatic charges that were supposed to have been canceled, the agent I spoke with simply to understand what was going on volunteered to waive the fees, because I have such a long history of keeping my accounts in good standing.
  • Last year they were running a referral program, giving both the referrer and referee $100 each for new accounts. My partner and I both made $100 from the bonus.
  • Last year they aparently quietly replaced all members' cards, both debit and credit, with chip-activated cards, even if the card had still had years left on it before expiration. Very security-concious.
  • They automatically lower the APR on my credit card on a regular basis. I've had it for 3 years and it's already down to 9.40%. Each time they do they send me a letter congratulating me. Smiley Very Happy Always a pleasant pick-me-up.
  • Zero fees for using BECU atms. And there's always one around.
  • The Member Advantage program has some of the best interest rates I've seen, for the first $500. Currently I'm getting 4% interest on my checking and 6% interest on my savings.

Not trying to sound like a walking commercial, but I'm pretty happy with them. Smiley Happy I wish CLIs were a soft pull, but I hear that's common with credit unions.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.