Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Experience with NFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bad Experience with NFCU

So, I needed to pay a company for a transaction, and they only accept a check or wire transfer. So I have a checking account with navy, and I assumed like every other banks I have checking accounts with, they would send me sample checks to use. I was looking everywhere for my Navy checks, but could not find them. Called them up, and they told me it looks like it was never sent and its too late for them to send it to me. Okay, so I'm assuming that is their error, so I told them if I do a wire transfer, can they waive the fee since it looks like it is their error for not sending me sample checks. The CSR refused, so I asked to speak to a supervisor, supervisor also refused. I used to be proud of banking with NFCU, but after this experience I'm really considering pulling out of all of my funds and putting it elsewhere. I alwasy hear good things about NFCU, am I the only one with a bad experience? 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bad Experience with NFCU

Mistakes happen, however it's still your responsibility to check your documents in a timely manner to make sure you got them and that they are correct.  Giving you a paid service for free because you didn't is an unreasonable expectation, not a bad experience.

Message 2 of 17
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Would this copmany accept a check by phone? if so you only need routing number and account number and tell them it is check # 2424 or some made up number. They will never know the difference. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I needed to pay a company for a transaction, and they only accept a check or wire transfer. So I have a checking account with navy, and I assumed like every other banks I have checking accounts with, they would send me sample checks to use. I was looking everywhere for my Navy checks, but could not find them. Called them up, and they told me it looks like it was never sent and its too late for them to send it to me. Okay, so I'm assuming that is their error, so I told them if I do a wire transfer, can they waive the fee since it looks like it is their error for not sending me sample checks. The CSR refused, so I asked to speak to a supervisor, supervisor also refused. I used to be proud of banking with NFCU, but after this experience I'm really considering pulling out of all of my funds and putting it elsewhere. I alwasy hear good things about NFCU, am I the only one with a bad experience? 

Bad experiences are rare at NFCU but like anything, nothing is perfect. I received a samle pack of checks (name only-no address) when I first opened my account; however, in your online account management, there is a section that allows you to order free name-only checks. If you did not receive free samples you could have gone online and ordered them-for free. It is, of course, your choice to move your funds elsewhere. 

NFCU is praised here and for good reason. I am still over the moon to be a member. 

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

I would hardly call that a bad experience. Something tells me they may have sent them. Because you went looking for them and couldn't find them, remember?

NFCU could care less if you close your account(s). They are the biggest and the bestest.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke to the CSR, they confirmed it was never sent, and told me it was too late. I know NFCU's reputation as a credit union, I believe they are the biggest credit union out there. I was just debating on moving all of my funds over elsewhere and leaving $5 in my savings to keep the membership open, that's all I'm trying to say. 

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I spoke to the CSR, they confirmed it was never sent, and told me it was too late. I know NFCU's reputation as a credit union, I believe they are the biggest credit union out there. I was just debating on moving all of my funds over elsewhere and leaving $5 in my savings to keep the membership open, that's all I'm trying to say. 

That's fine, you need to do what you feel is right for you. All I am saying is don't do it out of spite, because your not hurting them. If you are unhappy with them and feel you were spat upon, then you do what is necessary.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It sounds as if you were upset by the whole experience, and I'm sorry that happened.

It's actually not Navy Federal's fault that you had an expectation and made an assumption.

This is not an error on Navy Federal Credit Union's part.

I have multiple accounts with five credit unions and one major bank, and I haven't just automatically received "starter checks" since the early 90's.

I've received checks upon request with each of my accounts, but I needed to actually request the checks. Probably best to cool down a bit before doing anything rash - agree with Donny here. Smiley Happy

I'm also wondering why you were doing a transaction that needed a quick turnaround with a brand new account - did you not have any other checking accounts prior to this?

From what you mention, you waited until the last minute to make a payment that was needed, then expected NFCU to cover a fee that it wasn't their responsibility to cover.

I mention the above information because NFCU really didn't do anything wrong in this situation.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Set them up in online bill pay and pay it. Then a check will be mailed to them for free.

Message 9 of 17
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Set them up in online bill pay and pay it. Then a check will be mailed to them for free.

I think you can even have it "rushed" for $5

edit: Nice username @Anonymous Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.