Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best CD/Savings rate with no minimum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best CD/Savings rate with no minimum

I've googled around and I am not finding much so I'm hoping you all know of some great not so well known bank or credit union that has an awesome rate!

I read somewhere on the forums that one credit union offers 7.0% apy on a checking account but it's only available in Washington so that is out...

I opened a CD with Cap1 at 2.30apy that's the highest rate I've saw... 60months is a long time though... Therefore I only deposited $500 and left the rest in my money market...

I imagine I'm just not looking in the right places...

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Best CD/Savings rate with no minimum

try looking at barclays or GS bank. They both have savings rates above 1%, and for 5 year cds barclays is at 1.75% and GS is at 1.85%.Both have no min balance.I am not sure about an online rewards checking account. I use alliant and I get about .6% not the greatest but a heck of a lot better then what I used to get at brick and mortar banks, its at least its about 20x better than brick and mortar savings accounts!!!

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Smiley Happy I checked them out....

My Money Market has both beat it offers 1.25% APY

Capital One 360 has the CD rates beat with the 2.30% APY...

I guess I am just fooling myself hoping there are better rates....
Message 3 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks Smiley Happy I checked them out....

My Money Market has both beat it offers 1.25% APY

Capital One 360 has the CD rates beat with the 2.30% APY...

I guess I am just fooling myself hoping there are better rates....

Those are all very good rates you have, I am actually thinking of opening cap one 360 account since their 5 year cd rates look to be really good. How do you like them as a bank. I used to have ally for 5 year cd but their rates have plummeted a bit. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like them... I do everything on the app or website therefore I do not have experience with their customer service reps... It's really easy to open up new 360 accounts once you already have 1... They let you have up to 50 CDs per their terms...

I already had a 360 checking that I hardly use so I just went to site and logged into my account from the open a CD account page. It just asked me to verify some info answer some questions then they initiated the withdrawal from my external checking account... Took me maybe 5-10 minutes at most... The penalty for early withdraw is only 6 months interest if I'm not mistaken... It may be a little longer if it's your first 360 account...

My money market is with All America Banks online devision (redneck bank)... Top notch customer service over secured message(haven't ever had to call in).... They truly seem happy to have you as a client and take care of you... There cashback checking earns 1.50% apy... I don't use a debit card often so it isn't practical for me( why I've stuck with their money market) I'd give them a look if you want a higher yield checking... Their debit card is certainly something it has a donkey on it Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 12
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

I'm interested in the redneck bank now lol. But how does a rewards checking account with them pay more than most traditional online savings accounts? I myself am interested in getting better returns on my savings & checking account. I'm with Discover currently.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not a topic I have experience in, but I saw that NFCU has a special 17-month certificate at 2.00APY right now. 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not the greatest person to ask but FWIW I think it's because the rewards checking requires you to complete so many debit card transactions a month which some people will not do..

I use the Money Market as my savings account... I will paste the description from there site below...

Traditionally a Money Market requires more to open than a savings but that is not the case with this bank... You get the higher rate Money Markets are known for with no minimum balance..

Please note they advertise the Money Market as a checking account when it really is not because you only get 6 free withdrawals a month every withdrawal over 6 costs $5...

Mega Money Market Account

What if you could have a free checking account that offers a high interest rate with no minimum balance, and has the convenience of a debit card? Now you can! 1.25APY
• FREE Account (No Monthly Maintenance Fee) • FREE Redneck Bank® VISA® Debit Card • FREE Customer Service • FREE Online Banking • NO Minimum Balance to Maintain Account
Details of Account:
Monthly statements are received electronically Earns interest of 1.25% APY* calculated on your daily balance of up to $35,000. Amounts over $35,000 earn .50% APY* Includes 6 FREE withdrawals per month.** This is a variable rate account and the interest rate can change. The minimum opening deposit for this account is $50.00. Fees could affect the earnings on this account.
*APY is Annual Percentage Yield and is accurate as of 6/1/2016 **There is a $5 fee for each withdrawal after 6 per monthly statement cycle. The statement cycle typically ends on the 20th. If the 20th lands on a Saturday the statement will close on Friday the 19th. If the 20th lands on a Sunday the statement will close on Monday the 21st. Limit of one Mega Money Market® account allowed per individual.
If you’d like to know more, please go to our disclosures page.

Open Your Account Now!

It’s easy! Nothing to sign, fax or mail!

As for the rewards checking... It offers unlimited transactions... I'll post the description below...

FREE Online Banking • FREE Checking • FREE Redneck Bank® VISA® Debit Card • FREE Customer Service • FREE Daily Email Notification if Overdrawn • FREE ATM Transactions* Worldwide** • NO Minimum Balance to Maintain Account
The only requirements of the account are: • Post and Clear 10 Redneck Bank® VISA® Debit Card sales transactions.*** • All statements are received electronically. • We REWARD you for helping us operate more efficiently. Once the required number of transactions has posted to your account we will start refunding your ATM fees. We will refund up to $25.00 in ATM fees each monthly statement cycle. At the same time, you will be paid interest earned by your account. Interest earnings of 1.50% APY* are calculated on your daily balance of up to $10,000. Amounts over $10,000 will earn .50% APY*. If requirements are not met you will earn .25% APY*. This is a variable rate account and the interest rate can change. The minimum opening deposit for this account is $50.00. Fees could affect the earnings on this account.
*APY is Annual Percentage Yield and is accurate as of 6/1/2016. **Refunds of foreign ATM fees will be a maximum of $25.00 each monthly statement cycle. ***No Minimum Balance to Maintain Account. $50.00 minimum to open account. Requirements must be met each monthly statement cycle to receive the rewards. The statement cycle typically ends on the 20th. If the 20th lands on a Saturday the statement will close on Friday the 19th. If the 20th lands on a Sunday the statement will close on Monday the 21st. There are no rollover transactions. Qualifying VISA® Debit Card sales transactions include each time you use your VISA® Debit Card to make a purchase from a vendor or merchant. These transactions must post and clear your account during the statement cycle. ATM and ACH transactions do not qualify. Limit of two Redneck Rewards® Checking Accounts allowed per individual.

Open Your Account Now!

Hope there descriptions help... I don't have experience with the rewards checking.....

redneck.bank is the website the parent company is allamerica.bank
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I've googled around and I am not finding much so I'm hoping you all know of some great not so well known bank or credit union that has an awesome rate!

I read somewhere on the forums that one credit union offers 7.0% apy on a checking account but it's only available in Washington so that is out...

I opened a CD with Cap1 at 2.30apy that's the highest rate I've saw... 60months is a long time though... Therefore I only deposited $500 and left the rest in my money market...

I imagine I'm just not looking in the right places...

Thanks in advance!

If this makes you uncomfotable, do a CD Ladder. 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm not the greatest person to ask but FWIW I think it's because the rewards checking requires you to complete so many debit card transactions a month which some people will not do..

I use the Money Market as my savings account... I will paste the description from there site below...

Traditionally a Money Market requires more to open than a savings but that is not the case with this bank... You get the higher rate Money Markets are known for with no minimum balance..

Please note they advertise the Money Market as a checking account when it really is not because you only get 6 free withdrawals a month every withdrawal over 6 costs $5...

Mega Money Market Account

What if you could have a free checking account that offers a high interest rate with no minimum balance, and has the convenience of a debit card? Now you can! 1.25APY
• FREE Account (No Monthly Maintenance Fee) • FREE Redneck Bank® VISA® Debit Card • FREE Customer Service • FREE Online Banking • NO Minimum Balance to Maintain Account
Details of Account:
Monthly statements are received electronically Earns interest of 1.25% APY* calculated on your daily balance of up to $35,000. Amounts over $35,000 earn .50% APY* Includes 6 FREE withdrawals per month.** This is a variable rate account and the interest rate can change. The minimum opening deposit for this account is $50.00. Fees could affect the earnings on this account.
*APY is Annual Percentage Yield and is accurate as of 6/1/2016 **There is a $5 fee for each withdrawal after 6 per monthly statement cycle. The statement cycle typically ends on the 20th. If the 20th lands on a Saturday the statement will close on Friday the 19th. If the 20th lands on a Sunday the statement will close on Monday the 21st. Limit of one Mega Money Market® account allowed per individual.

Open Your Account Now!

As for the rewards checking... It offers unlimited transactions... I'll post the description below...

FREE Online Banking • FREE Checking • FREE Redneck Bank® VISA® Debit Card • FREE Customer Service • FREE Daily Email Notification if Overdrawn • FREE ATM Transactions* Worldwide** • NO Minimum Balance to Maintain Account
The only requirements of the account are: • Post and Clear 10 Redneck Bank® VISA® Debit Card sales transactions.*** • All statements are received electronically. • We REWARD you for helping us operate more efficiently. Once the required number of transactions has posted to your account we will start refunding your ATM fees. We will refund up to $25.00 in ATM fees each monthly statement cycle. At the same time, you will be paid interest earned by your account. Interest earnings of 1.50% APY* are calculated on your daily balance of up to $10,000. Amounts over $10,000 will earn .50% APY*. If requirements are not met you will earn .25% APY*. This is a variable rate account and the interest rate can change. The minimum opening deposit for this account is $50.00. Fees could affect the earnings on this account.
*APY is Annual Percentage Yield and is accurate as of 6/1/2016. **Refunds of foreign ATM fees will be a maximum of $25.00 each monthly statement cycle. ***No Minimum Balance to Maintain Account. $50.00 minimum to open account. Requirements must be met each monthly statement cycle to receive the rewards. The statement cycle typically ends on the 20th. If the 20th lands on a Saturday the statement will close on Friday the 19th. If the 20th lands on a Sunday the statement will close on Monday the 21st. There are no rollover transactions. Qualifying VISA® Debit Card sales transactions include each time you use your VISA® Debit Card to make a purchase from a vendor or merchant. These transactions must post and clear your account during the statement cycle. ATM and ACH transactions do not qualify. Limit of two Redneck Rewards® Checking Accounts allowed per individual.

Open Your Account Now!

Hope there descriptions help... I don't have experience with the rewards checking.....

redneck.bank is the website the parent company is allamerica.bank

Thanks for the information on redneck bank. Every day I learn something new on this forum. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.