cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best bank account for amount over $250K?

tag
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

Best bank account for amount over $250K?

What is the best bank account for an amount over $250K?

One with a nice app would be nice and a nice web interface.

Also the ability to do automated monthly transfers between my accounts.  A set it and forget it type account.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Best bank account for amount over $250K?

DW and I, while selling and later buying a house, used a joint account, thereby doubling the FDIC insured amount to $500K.

Message 2 of 9
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Agree with my-own-fico - that's the biggest thing, to just make sure it is fully insured for whatever the max amount you will have as a balance at any point in time. Any earnings are nice, but you mostly want to protect yourself from losing it! FWIW, I wouldn't park significant funds in a checking account long-term. No matter how good the account, it's a losing proposition from what I've seen, earnings-wise.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like the posters above stated be sure to either add a spouse or beneficiaries to increase your FDIC coverage to the necessary limit. The best rates are at Synchrony and GE Cap. I don't personally have either so I can't expand on the online/mobile capabilities although I'm sure it is to par with the competition including auto-transfer. I personally have Cap1 360 and I enjoy the online banking, however, it's not the best rate available. For me I don't have large enough balance to work about a few bips, but it could be worth it to you.
Message 4 of 9
compassion101
Established Contributor

Check out Chase private client

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Boa rewards savings with currently almost 800,000 never had a problem
Message 6 of 9
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I have somewhat the same "problem" in as I'm settling an estate with a major asset closing in late July. The actual estate won't close (distribution) for at least 6 months after that, but I'll have just under 7 figures in cash to park. Cap-1 offers a saving account at 1.10%  which can have 6 "transfers" per month and since I have an estate checking account at Cap-1, it's a no brainer to gain over $5k in "interest" to the estate just by parking it in a Jumbo savings account.

Once the estate is distributed (part of it is mine), I'll probably leave some in a "jumbo" savings account which is an easy click to move funds between checking and savings. Not looking for a long term investment higher yield at this point, which is an altogether different thing. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very lucky estate haha I have been saving my money from 21 I'm 52 now
Message 8 of 9
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

What is the best bank account for an amount over $250K?

One with a nice app would be nice and a nice web interface.

Also the ability to do automated monthly transfers between my accounts.  A set it and forget it type account.

Even though you dictate some specific criteria, it's way too vague to get a meaningful answer.  If it were me that was leaving that amount liquid, which I would never spend near 250k per year so it's hard for me to imagine stashing it in a regular bank account.  But, if so, I would want a physical branch not too far away and I would still refuse to bank with any mega bank that played in the sub-prime lending, mortgage crisis, bailouts, etc. years ago.  I know that's difficult to do but that's important to me.  I would be comfortable with my current banks, being Comerica and a local decent sized credit union.  

This will be interesting to see how your complete vetting turns out if this is only your surface questions.  Good luck to you.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.