Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best checking account for minors

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best checking account for minors

Looking for suggestions for the best bank / credit union that offers checking accounts for twelve year olds and can be joined from anywhere
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: Best checking account for minors

I signed mine up for NFCU Student Checking. It is linked to mine and I can move money with my app when it is allowance time, plus I see the crap she wastes money on. I've been very happy. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Looking for suggestions for the best bank / credit union that offers checking accounts for twelve year olds and can be joined from anywhere

I doubt anyone will give a 12 year old a checking account. Chase, for example, allows at 13 as a custodial account. The first checking account I had in my name was at 16 with a local bank, but they would not provide a debit card until I was 18.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may also wish to look into getting a credit card for your teenager after he or she turns 14.  That way your kid has four years of credit history when he turns 18.  This DCU card is a nice choice for that:

https://www.dfcufinancial.com/personal/cards/credit-cards/teen-and-student-visa

The best approach if you do go that route is for you to control the card, set it on autopay, and allow the teenager to buy groceries or a tank of gas once every four months or so.

Obviously there's no right choice: depends a lot on the parent and the particular kid.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Navy account for my 14 year old, but that's the youngest they start checking accounts.
Was looking to do the same for my 12 year old to start her learning.
Both have already been made AU on a couple of CCs
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.