Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best option for a prepaid card to use as a gas card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best option for a prepaid card to use as a gas card

@Anonymous wrote:
Unless you plan to apply for new credit, there is really no need to micro manage your accounts the way you're describing, just let whatever report to the statement and PIF before due date to avoid paying interest.  The effects of UTI on your score is only temporary, bringing down the reported balance a month prior to applying for new credit to give your score a boost will suffice.  

+1

Message 11 of 16
Appleman
Valued Contributor

I think adding a pre-paid card to the mix will just add stress, another thing to manage.

Stop using each card for gas 10 days prior to the payment due date. This will ensure the charge will post and you can have it paid off. This will be whatever card gives you the best gas cash back.

Have a second card that you utilize for gas purchases that has a different due date that will cover the 10 days or so you don't use the main gas card. Leaving 5% on the table can add up over a year. 

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many gas stations allow post purchase payment at the pump.  Atleast here in Smalltown from 7Am to 7Pm.   The Murphy Station  has been running a promo with the FNB -Omaho(sp)  card for 15 cent discount if you swipe it first this summer.    How much gas can you really buy at once?  My Jeep on dead empty takes around 13 gal. so the charge is around $27.  $27 is not going to change your % util unless you are on a cusp.  Unless you trying to buy a house this week I see no reason to micromanage. At our house we pay in full each month but because of float end up with 5% to 14% util depending on what we bought at the end of the month. Our scores,  mine and dw are between 740 and 760 with NO installment loans. 

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I guess maybe I harped on my frustrations more than clearly explaining my budget intention. I’m glad you all find it easy to set your budgets, pay bills and get on with life. I am still in the process of changing habits and rebuilding from my BK, and sure, I agree that obsessing on paying bills isn’t worth a lot of heartburn, I also rather endure some heartburn NOW, build better habits in general and benefit from that later when I do, say want to buy a house (which I do, really really do!) even if to you all it seems a little nonsensical.

I find the idea having a prepaid card that always has money on it to use for gas to be very easy and just one thing to not have to worry about budget wise. Minimal management involved (just keeping an eye on fraud); just have money put on it biweekly and use when needed.
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

With many of the reloadable prepays you pay a monthly fee and a reload fee .  Not a good deal.  Find something inthe way of a secured card you like.  There are several like Disco that over time  will graduate if you don't want or scores not quite up to unsecured yet.  

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I guess maybe I harped on my frustrations more than clearly explaining my budget intention. I’m glad you all find it easy to set your budgets, pay bills and get on with life. I am still in the process of changing habits and rebuilding from my BK, and sure, I agree that obsessing on paying bills isn’t worth a lot of heartburn, I also rather endure some heartburn NOW, build better habits in general and benefit from that later when I do, say want to buy a house (which I do, really really do!) even if to you all it seems a little nonsensical.

I find the idea having a prepaid card that always has money on it to use for gas to be very easy and just one thing to not have to worry about budget wise. Minimal management involved (just keeping an eye on fraud); just have money put on it biweekly and use when needed.

Good morning amberlina.Smiley Happy

Based on your post it sounds like you've already decided to go the prepaid route. Now all you need to do is some research and find the best one for you. A quick Google search should suffice.

The only prepaid card I know of that has very little fees is Bluebird. It's issued by American Express. You can order it online for free. If you purchase it at a retailer there may be a charge/fee so I would order it online.

Good luck!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.