cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Updated Website cost me an overdraft fee.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 Updated Website cost me an overdraft fee.

I have a Cap1 360 account that I haven't really used since they took over ING. The account connected to that is a checking account with $1 in it that I keep open for no real reason.

I have another checking account with this same bank that I only use to make credit card payments. I put  $200 cash in and submitted a payment through Capital One's website the same way I always do.

Well, I didn't notice the new website merged my checking accounts so when I submitted payment...it took it out of the wrong checking account. That account is now overdrawn $200 and a $35 overdraft fee that I just noticed today. I usually keep ontop of my payments because at least if I caught this while it was pending I wouldn't have gotten overdrawn.

I never get overdraft fees. I hated the updated website from day1 but wasn't expecting this. Another website that is more mobile friendly than laptop friendly. Smiley Sad

Any suggestions on how to handle it? I could walk into the bank or call and hope for removal based on the obvious fact I deposted $200 and Cap1 clearly always takes it out of the account that the $200 is sitting in but it's not like I can dispute it...my screw up for not noticing the account numbers at the end were different. The last time I had a problem with this bank I had to print a bunch of documents to prove it wasn't my error before they gave me my funds back. What are the chances of having luck by threatening to close both checking accounts that don't even get used? Lol

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 Updated Website cost me an overdraft fee.

How much is your time worth?

As much as we want to hate Capital One, they DO at least tell you which account it's coming out of, so there's nothing you can do on their end.

Rather than waste hours over $35, I'd say just call the bank and ask for a courtesy removal.  If they say no, just eat it and look at it as a cheap learning lesson to verify before accepting a payment.

And close those useless wasteful accounts.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know there isn't anything that can be done on Capital One's end. But I never expected them to merge my bank accounts when there used to be 2 different screens and separated.

This was more of a rant than anything I guess.

I'll be going into the bank, try and use my excellent history to get me out of it and when they say it's my error I will close the checking accounts that I don't use or need anymore. I like the idea of having a backup bank and I know my $1-3 sitting there isn't worth anything to them but I'd like a bank more forgiving.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Cap1 360 account that I haven't really used since they took over ING. The account connected to that is a checking account with $1 in it that I keep open for no real reason.

I have another checking account with this same bank that I only use to make credit card payments. I put  $200 cash in and submitted a payment through Capital One's website the same way I always do.

Well, I didn't notice the new website merged my checking accounts so when I submitted payment...it took it out of the wrong checking account. That account is now overdrawn $200 and a $35 overdraft fee that I just noticed today. I usually keep ontop of my payments because at least if I caught this while it was pending I wouldn't have gotten overdrawn.

I never get overdraft fees. I hated the updated website from day1 but wasn't expecting this. Another website that is more mobile friendly than laptop friendly. Smiley Sad

Any suggestions on how to handle it? I could walk into the bank or call and hope for removal based on the obvious fact I deposted $200 and Cap1 clearly always takes it out of the account that the $200 is sitting in but it's not like I can dispute it...my screw up for not noticing the account numbers at the end were different. The last time I had a problem with this bank I had to print a bunch of documents to prove it wasn't my error before they gave me my funds back. What are the chances of having luck by threatening to close both checking accounts that don't even get used? Lol

Doesn't Capital One wait an additional day before charging you the $35 overdraft fee? 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.