Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital Gains Exemption

tag
iced
Valued Contributor

Capital Gains Exemption

Hopefully this is a quick thread with a quick answer.

Long story short, how does the capital gains exemption work for home sales where more than $500,000 in equity gains are made? It's a bit unclear if we would only pay capital gains on the amount over $500,000 or if the entire amount becomes taxable if it exceeds $500,000 (how the sales tax exemption works here)?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital Gains Exemption

You need to know what your cost basis for the house is, which would  be original cost to purchase plus any major renovations/repairs done (new roof, new windows, new heating system etc). That amount would be deducted from the sale price to get your net gains of which the first $250K/$500K is tax free. Anything above would be taxable.

Message 2 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You need to know what your cost basis for the house is, which would  be original cost to purchase plus any major renovations/repairs done (new roof, new windows, new heating system etc). That amount would be deducted from the sale price to get your net gains of which the first $250K/$500K is tax free. Anything above would be taxable.

Thanks, this is how I understood it too. We want to make sure if we sell and walk away with $550,000 in gains, we're only paying taxes on $50,000 of it and not all of it.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

And don't forget to deduct your closing costs as well. May not be much but every little bit helps.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you buying another house? Look into 1031 exchange.
Message 5 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Are you buying another house? Look into 1031 exchange.

We have to have our offer accepted on a new home within 45 days of closing on our current property to use this though, right? If so, we run a significant risk of missing out on this opportunity.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The exemption will cover all your gains up to $500,000 (presuming two people are on the deed or you are married and you've owned it for at least two years) leaving you to pay taxes on any amount in excess. You won't pay taxes on the first $500k. Things get a little weird if you don't have significant other income during the year in which you do this, so you may consider consulting with an accountant in advance to avoid any surprises. I paid Alternative Minimum Tax after a similar gain during a year in which I was transitioning from employee to business owner.

Message 7 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The exemption will cover all your gains up to $500,000 (presuming two people are on the deed or you are married and you've owned it for at least two years) leaving you to pay taxes on any amount in excess. You won't pay taxes on the first $500k. Things get a little weird if you don't have significant other income during the year in which you do this, so you may consider consulting with an accountant in advance to avoid any surprises. I paid Alternative Minimum Tax after a similar gain during a year in which I was transitioning from employee to business owner.

The concern is that, depending on when we sell, we will have in excess of $500,000 in gains. If it ends up resulting in making the entire amount subject to taxes, we'll probably sell earlier for a price that's at $500,000 above what we've put into the place. If it's only the excess above $500,000 that's subject to taxes, we can let the property ride a little longer and just pay the taxes on the excess.

The 1031 exchange would also work, though we'll have to rely on luck as we will need to sell our property before we can put an offer on another place, at least if we want to use any of the gains from the sale of the current property. If we don't get an offer accepted within 45 days, we'll miss that opportunity and fall back to the original $500,000 exemption.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it just has to be in the calendar year.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

45 days to find the property and 180 days to purchase it.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.