Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One 360 Savings Account - Annual Percentage Yield (APY) tracker

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One 360 Savings Account - Annual Percentage Yield (APY) tracker

I currently have a "high interest" Savings account with Capital One 360.

Unfortunately and comparatively (to how it was years ago), it really is not "high interest". I logged into my account (as I do every so often to check the interest) and saw measly numbers. I looked up the APY customer payments for a Capital One 360 Savings account and it is a measly, .75%. Back when the account was with ING Direct, the account was regularly above 1%. I realize the APY has a lot of do with the markets but I know there are better options out there. 

Back when the account was with ING, before Capital One bought them out, ING regularly posted changes to the APY in a person’s account whenever they would occur. This did not matter if the APY went up or down. I really appreciated this transparency. Unfortunately, I don’t see Capital One doing this practice. 

The point of this thread is to ask people here if there is a link/list somewhere of all of the Annual Percentage Yield (APY) made to people's Capital One 360 Savings accounts over the past 5 - 10 years. If there is, please provide the link as I have been unable to find this information. 

If this information is not readily available, I would like to make this thread an APY tracker thread to manually keep track of the APY changes to Capital One 360 savings accounts over the past 5 - 10 years.

Also, I just recently did a search and saw that Capital One is "dropping the ball" and "lagging behind" other major banks in APYs of savings accounts over the years. Basically, I am looking at jumping ship. The thing is, I do not want to perpetually chase a higher interest rate and jump from bank to bank. I see that some banks temporarily raise their APY to the highest rate when starting out (or when established) to get new customers, only to drop the rate once they gain a significant number of customers. This is a shame. This is what Capital One did with us ING customers. ING was great. I am not happy with Capital One.

I want a bank that has consistently offered among the highest APY of savings accounts over the past 5 years. The banks does not have to be the highest at any given point (competitive banks can artificially inflate their APYs to gather customers, then drop the rate (similar to what Capital One did). 

What is a bank that has offered among the highest APYs over the past 5 - 10 years, with no strings attached (annual fees, etc.)?

Thank you

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One 360 Savings Account - Annual Percentage Yield (APY) tracker

Anyone?

What is a bank that has offered among the highest APYs for a savings account over the past 5 - 10 years, with no strings attached (annual fees, etc.)?

Message 2 of 31
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Don't know about the last 5-10 years but I've been using Ally bank for over a year now for both checking and savings with no issues. Currently they are paying me 1.05% on savings and .1% on checking. Both are totally free accounts. Their website is easy to use, bill pay/transfers work reliably and so far my experience with them has been stellar.

One thing to be aware of is that you cannot deposit cash. We get around that by using the wifes local US Bank whenever the occasion occurs. I have my paycheck direct deposited and any other checks we receive are easily deposited by using our phone and the Ally app.

I've also recommended Ally to my co-workers and friends/family based on my experience. Hope that helps?

Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have considered Ally bank but when you say "you can not deposit cash" do you mean you can not electronically send funds into this account? Also, while 1.05% savings is more then I am making now with Capital One, it does not see all that great of an APR.

Message 4 of 31
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

You can electronically send funds from any other bank (we've used two, My original brick and mortar Rabo bank and US bank). You cannot deposit cash using an ATM though. I've read if you must go that route you can pay for/get a certified check and scan it using the phone app. Messy but workable

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thank you for your suggestion. I am open to more suggestions.

Message 6 of 31
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

You bet...luck on your search!  =)

Message 7 of 31
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

You could look at barclays or goldman sachs they both have rates that are well above 1%? I think both have min balance of 1 dollar and no fees 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

You could look at barclays or goldman sachs they both have rates that are well above 1%? I think both have min balance of 1 dollar and no fees 

Barclays has the Dream Account that gets 1.15% APY. It also has deposit and no withdrawl bonuses, but you are limited to depositing $1000 each month. I just looked goldman sachs and their savings account is 1.20% APY. I don't have either account, but they both seem like good options.

Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hwo much money do you estimate you'll have in this account?  E.g. between 2 and 3k?  Between 10 and 15k?   The best account for you depends a good deal on your answer here.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.