Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career Guidance Needed: Bachelors vs MBA

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Career Guidance Needed: Bachelors vs MBA

Hello MyFico Friends, I need a little bit of career guidance and direction, and who better qualified to offer it than MyFico Friends?

I'm 41 years old and I'm considering a career move.  I'm in the process of completing my bachelor's degree in business marketing.  What are the income expectations with someone entering the open market with a bachelors degree?  What are the income expectations with someone entering the open market with an MBA?  I live in Southern California, adjacent to the Orange County and LA County marketplace.  

I have been self-employed all of my working life and I am somewhat disconnected with job market expectations.  I look forward to your guidance and replies with anxious anticipation.  I thank you in advance!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: Career Guidance Needed: Bachelors vs MBA

I'd suggest you pick up a copy of U.S. News & World report's Best Grad Schools 2017 edition. I have a copy of the 2016 edition.

Average starting (salary + bonus) for the top 30 ranked MBA programs range from $110k to $ 145k. USC, which ranks 25th, shows a starting S+B of $114k while UC Berkely at #6 is $141k and Stanford at #1 is $ 143k.

In contrast UC San Diego at #63 shows an average S + B of $76k

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 2 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Based on the Marketing 101 class I took while earning an Accounting degree, marketing strikes me as a field where experience and contacts (not to mention creativity) matter a more than a degree.

One thing to be concerned about is that marketing companies are notorious for having unpaid/underpaid "interns" do the work you might expect permanent employees to be doing. Marketing jobs with decent pay are limited when so many people are willing to work cheaply (or for free) to get experience.

Maybe I'm wrong and that's improved, but I wouldn't be surprised if you find yourself competing for jobs with 20-somethings willing to work for peanuts.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best advice I could ever give. Head onto glassdoor. They will provide you with the median salary and reviews on companies you want to work for! Look up job titles you are interested in and see if this is something you would want.

Message 4 of 13
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

I'd suggest you pick up a copy of U.S. News & World report's Best Grad Schools 2017 edition. I have a copy of the 2016 edition.

Average starting (salary + bonus) for the top 30 ranked MBA programs range from $110k to $ 145k. USC, which ranks 25th, shows a starting S+B of $114k while UC Berkely at #6 is $141k and Stanford at #1 is $ 143k.

In contrast UC San Diego at #63 shows an average S + B of $76k

Thank you TT. I will look into US NEWS and do some research.  Thanks for your research as well. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 5 of 13
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Based on the Marketing 101 class I took while earning an Accounting degree, marketing strikes me as a field where experience and contacts (not to mention creativity) matter a more than a degree.

One thing to be concerned about is that marketing companies are notorious for having unpaid/underpaid "interns" do the work you might expect permanent employees to be doing. Marketing jobs with decent pay are limited when so many people are willing to work cheaply (or for free) to get experience.

Maybe I'm wrong and that's improved, but I wouldn't be surprised if you find yourself competing for jobs with 20-somethings willing to work for peanuts.

Thanks CB, for your thoughts. I've heard of people with degrees not being able to land a well paying job. 

I won't work for peanuts like some 20 somethings would.  I am successfully self employed and I can remain that way if I choose to😁. 

My pursuit of an MBA is so that I can have options as I gracefully age. One of the options is to remain self employed. 

Message 6 of 13
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The best advice I could ever give. Head onto glassdoor. They will provide you with the median salary and reviews on companies you want to work for! Look up job titles you are interested in and see if this is something you would want.

Thanks Hannah, I will look into this. 

Message 7 of 13
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

What are your thoughts on a business management degree vs a marketing degree?  I only choose marketing as a stepping stone to an mba. 

Message 8 of 13
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Have you considered a bachelor degree in finance or international business? Then going for the MBA after 3 years work experience.

One of my nephews got is degree in finance and landed a job at Deloitte Consulting. Good pay starting out and after 5 years they "told" him to get his MBA - all expenses paid. He was given a list of approved schools and told you can go to any school on this list that offers you admission. They required a 2 year post MBA commitment. He has since left Deloitte.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 9 of 13
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Have you considered a bachelor degree in finance or international business? Then going for the MBA after 3 years work experience.

One of my nephews got is degree in finance and landed a job at Deloitte Consulting. Good pay starting out and after 5 years they "told" him to get his MBA - all expenses paid. He was given a list of approved schools and told you can go to any school on this list that offers you admission. They required a 2 year post MBA commitment. He has since left Deloitte.

I have not given a degree in finance much thought. I will look into it. Thank you for the suggestions.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.