Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career Options?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Career Options?

Hey guys, I hope this is alright to post here. I am looking for suggestions on career options. I am a college freshman currently studying graphic design. I think that there is potential to reach my goals with a career in graphic design but it is super competitive and I'm worried about getting started, and about instability. I am leaning toward finding something different that will offer a salaried position, and I'd like to make at least $100k/year (not necessarily straight out of college but within 5 or less years after I graduate).

My biggest problem is that I am not a people person, I have an anxiety disorder and I generally do not communicate well with people during face-to-face interactions. I can do just fine over email or on the phone, but speaking in person is not something I do well. I am really looking for something that will allow me to work from home or mostly from home but still make a good living. I am inclined toward art, writing, computer work, and animals but I'm terrible with math and people skills. Any suggestions for me?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Re: Career Options?

Graphic design is a competetive and over saturated job market. The problem lies that yes you're sitting in front of a computer and working with software but you will be having to meet face to face with clients. You might be able to do your job well but face to face it won't come across as that and they won't have much confidence in you.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 2 of 3
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Career Options?

Have you thought about doing web design?  I know it's a bit different, but it could give you that opportunity to be creative, while also developing things that every company needs.

Also, I would recommend looking up your local chapter of Toastmasters and joining.  It's a fantastic organization that helps people become more confident in their speaking abilities through practice.  I'm so thankful for my experiences in Toastmasters as it helped me to become a more polished public speaker.  I'm still nervous, which is normal, but nowhere near as axious as I used to get.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.