Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check deposit

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Check deposit

Chances are that this question borders on the silly, but a check is made out to DW and me. We both sign it. Can I deposit into a bank account that has my name only?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

Re: Check deposit

varies by bank.

with it saying AND a good teller will most likely reject it.

an ATM however, probably won't.  especially if it is a smaller (less than 5k) amount.

worst case scenario, add her to your account. then there are no problems.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

Chances are that this question borders on the silly, but a check is made out to DW and me. We both sign it. Can I deposit into a bank account that has my name only?

Most likely yes. We have done it several times with DCU and NFCU.

Call the bank and ask if it is acceptable.

Message 3 of 14
iced
Valued Contributor

Most banks shouldn't care unless the person depositing it isn't one of the two people it's made out to. Both people must endorse it though (which you have done).

Message 4 of 14
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

Most banks shouldn't care unless the person depositing it isn't one of the two people it's made out to. Both people must endorse it though (which you have done).

.  Having AND can lead to all kinds of reprecussions for the bank if the person that didn't have the account decides to challenge the negotiating of the check after the fact.

Message 5 of 14
iced
Valued Contributor

@Hokies2379 wrote:

@iced wrote:

This just isn't true, sadly.  It would be if it said OR, or if it just had both names listed, but it had AND.  Having AND can lead to all kinds of reprecussions for the bank if the person that didn't have the account decides to challenge the negotiating of the check after the fact.

I got married last year and we must have deposited at least 40 checks made out to both of us...into three different banks....none of which are joint. No problems.

In fact, in my 25 years and 4 states of handling checking accounts (and a previous marriage to boot), not once have I ever had a deposit refused because it was made out to two of us when only one of us had an account.

I don't doubt there's liability risk, but my experience has been every bank I've worked with just doesn't care. Maybe I'm just Mr. Lucky.

Message 6 of 14
heavyjay
Regular Contributor

PUTPAC

FICO 08:Jan 18, 2017: EX 800 EQ 725 TU 799
FICO 08:Feb 10, 2017: EX 788 EQ 772 TU 791 (post New Year's app spree)
In the garden as of 1/4/2017. Will remain for all of 2017.
Message 7 of 14
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Hokies2379 wrote:

@iced wrote:

This just isn't true, sadly.  It would be if it said OR, or if it just had both names listed, but it had AND.  Having AND can lead to all kinds of reprecussions for the bank if the person that didn't have the account decides to challenge the negotiating of the check after the fact.

I got married last year and we must have deposited at least 40 checks made out to both of us...into three different banks....none of which are joint. No problems.

In fact, in my 25 years and 4 states of handling checking accounts (and a previous marriage to boot), not once have I ever had a deposit refused because it was made out to two of us when only one of us had an account.

I don't doubt there's liability risk, but my experience has been every bank I've worked with just doesn't care. Maybe I'm just Mr. Lucky.

I'm glad you've had good experiences, thta's the way it should be. 

Message 8 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

Yes you can

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 14
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

DCU says yes (mostly), PSECU says no.

And then I got thinking. What about checking account transfers from joint to individual?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.