Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking Account Options?

tag
prabs99
Regular Contributor

Checking Account Options?

My bank is going to get rid of their free checking account. My paychecks are deposited automatically. It does not have to be a local branch, but free ATM withdrawals would be nice. Anyone know of any good choices?

FICO (Discover) 805
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Checking Account Options?

@prabs99 wrote:

My bank is going to get rid of their free checking account. My paychecks are deposited automatically. It does not have to be a local branch, but free ATM withdrawals would be nice. Anyone know of any good choices?

Most credit unions have that option i believe with no min balance. The other option are brokerage houses or online banks. Fidelity and Charles Schwab both have that option. Online banks like ally also have that option, which also gains interest.

I presently use ally for my savings and alliant credit union for my checking. If you do some kind of direct deposit with alliant they give you .64% interest which isn't bad ,since brick and mortar banks rarely top .05% for their savings accounts let alone checking!!

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 14
TheFate
Established Contributor

I second a Credit Union or even Capital One 360

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

think of banks that are giants

1) JP Morgan Chase

2) Bank of America

3) Wells Fargo

why bank with them? then ask yourself how would

a) Fidelity Money Mkt

b) Schwab MM

c) Ameritrade

do it differently.

Then comes the regional banks

Capital One

BBVA Compass Bank

If all that matters to you is

Service

Timely Deposits
Fraud Alerts

than any bank will do. If you want more than just checking acct and a real banking relationship where loans/brokerage/many other accounts will be opened its quite different.

Me personally it matters

Have 3 checking accounts; Never more than one account at the same bank. (learned it the hard way).

There be no minimum balance

There be rewards associated with opening checking account (bonus)

ATM charges be free/Unrestricted. No charges for replacing lost/Stolen ATM/Debit Card; HaveMasterCard/Visa Logo on ATM card.

Every six months or so, one NSF fee is waived

The order in which payments are processed be appropriate for me so there aren't multiple NSF's.

I would test the bank's validation by actually doing that one time.

Message 4 of 14
prabs99
Regular Contributor

I have an existing relationship with NFCU & Chase besides my current bank. I will check out Ally. Anyone use DCU?

FICO (Discover) 805
Message 5 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@prabs99 wrote:

I have an existing relationship with NFCU & Chase besides my current bank. I will check out Ally. Anyone use DCU?

I do but if you bank with NFCU and Chase, I'm surprised they do not offer free checking with DD 

Message 6 of 14
prabs99
Regular Contributor

Thanks Lexie, but I just have a savings account with both NFCU & Chase. I have not used their checking products. 

FICO (Discover) 805
Message 7 of 14
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

think of banks that are giants

1) JP Morgan Chase

2) Bank of America

3) Wells Fargo

why bank with them? then ask yourself how would

a) Fidelity Money Mkt

b) Schwab MM

c) Ameritrade

do it differently.

Then comes the regional banks

Capital One

BBVA Compass Bank

If all that matters to you is

Service

Timely Deposits
Fraud Alerts

than any bank will do. If you want more than just checking acct and a real banking relationship where loans/brokerage/many other accounts will be opened its quite different.

Me personally it matters

Have 3 checking accounts; Never more than one account at the same bank. (learned it the hard way).

There be no minimum balance

There be rewards associated with opening checking account (bonus)

ATM charges be free/Unrestricted. No charges for replacing lost/Stolen ATM/Debit Card; HaveMasterCard/Visa Logo on ATM card.

Every six months or so, one NSF fee is waived

The order in which payments are processed be appropriate for me so there aren't multiple NSF's.

I would test the bank's validation by actually doing that one time.

Why 3 checking accounts?

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Myself Wife and Joint three different banks.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

all this time i thought my wife was on ChexSystems, i disputed with the credit Unioin i was on and they sent me a letter stating the explanation.

Then, they decided not to send any information to ChexSystems, meaning the dispute remains UNRESOLVED , which in turn also means it is DELETED.

so then, I get a letter from ChexSystems stating unless Credit Union decides to verify the dispute its remains off the ChexSystems. I have a chase derogatory on EWS back from October 2008 which will be off in Oct 2015.

I am so glad i finally applied for a checking/savings account with SDFCU; was approved for savings/Checking account. they check Experian/ChexSystems.

want to get three bank accounts opened just in case the Credit Union decides to reverse its decision.So cant open chase but maybe DCU for EQ reports.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.