Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi....Really right now? *UPDATE*

tag
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi....Really right now?

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for the Citigold account maybe bwteen 6-8 times before I was approved. The online system kept showing me that I was pending, and then eventually I would be denied. I actually spoke with someone in the executive office about it; she told me that my identity couldn't be verified so I was denied. She wouldn't budge in trying to overturn the decision to approve me. I thought what the heck and decided to apply a couple more times in one night. The second time I did it that night I actually created a new username and password, which would be apart from my Prestige account. I went through the whole process and got approved online. Super weird, but whatever. 

Huh, one would think that by doing it logged in with your credit products that it would be EASIER to verify identity. If that is the response that I eventually get, I will try this route, but to me that is counterintuitive. 

Did you get your AF dropped to $350 on your Prestige? I'm worried that if it takes a 2nd login for Citigold that my Prestige will not have the fee lowered.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for the Citigold account maybe bwteen 6-8 times before I was approved. The online system kept showing me that I was pending, and then eventually I would be denied. I actually spoke with someone in the executive office about it; she told me that my identity couldn't be verified so I was denied. She wouldn't budge in trying to overturn the decision to approve me. I thought what the heck and decided to apply a couple more times in one night. The second time I did it that night I actually created a new username and password, which would be apart from my Prestige account. I went through the whole process and got approved online. Super weird, but whatever. 

Huh, one would think that by doing it logged in with your credit products that it would be EASIER to verify identity. If that is the response that I eventually get, I will try this route, but to me that is counterintuitive. 

Did you get your AF dropped to $350 on your Prestige? I'm worried that if it takes a 2nd login for Citigold that my Prestige will not have the fee lowered.

Online signup went without a Hitch here. Funded with Arrival+ for the miles and automatically linked.

Message 12 of 20
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Online signup went without a Hitch here. Funded with Arrival+ for the miles and automatically linked.

You did online signup not logged in to Citi CC's?

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear of your problems.  I hope I don't run into any problems when I get off my butt and apply

Message 14 of 20
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to hear of your problems.  I hope I don't run into any problems when I get off my butt and apply

Thanks - I would probably do what jsucool did and apply by phone. I wonder if he'll chime in, I'd be interested to see if he was approved over the phone. But this is going to be a great test for Prestige CS as CA suggested. Let's see how they compare to Discover/Chase/AMEX

Message 15 of 20
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

What is it about Citigold checking that's a great thing? Just curious. Just a general question... not really directly related to this thread.

And moving this to personal finance, BTW op! Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 20
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

What is it about Citigold checking that's a great thing? Just curious. Just a general question... not really directly related to this thread.

And moving this to personal finance, BTW op! Smiley Wink

100 AF reduction on AA executive/Prestige.

And right now, a 40k TYP sign up offer w/o debit card spend. ($640!)

+ there are reports of people keeping the perks of Citigold AFTER downgrading the account.

Message 17 of 20
selena
Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous - that's a great idea, I will definitely follow up with them when I have the denial letter in hand.

I went ahead and requested a free Chex report to make sure nothing showed up that doesn't belong to me.

Yeah I just read that thread, very similar situation! Regarding your experience, it sounded like in my case Roberto found my app easily and flat out told me it was denied. The nearest Citi branch is about 4 hours away in Chicago, so I'll definitely be working Prestige's CS/EO if I have to to find out exactly why and to get it opened. I am certainly glad it worked out for you...except for Simple bank. The only "bad" thing I could think of is # of accounts...but I have 3 at the moment, Discover/CS/MSUFCU. Plus CS double pulled my EQ - I wonder if they even ran Chex lol. Guess I'll find out in 5 business days Smiley Wink

At the time of the Simple app I only had 1 account. It's been a while but I believe the denial letter said something about assests. Really didn't make any sense to me. Anyways good luck on finding out happened. I was also curious about why the Citigold account is so popular.

Edit- Nevermind I see why now Smiley Happy

As of March 2016:
Equifax 735
TransUnion 702
Experian 731
Message 18 of 20
tacpoly
Established Contributor

I thought Citigold was a status, which comes with a bunch of perks, that Citibank gives you and not something you apply for.  Doesn't it require a minimum $250K balance on the account? 

Message 19 of 20
victor7
Established Member

@tacpoly wrote:

I thought Citigold was a status, which comes with a bunch of perks, that Citibank gives you and not something you apply for.  Doesn't it require a minimum $250K balance on the account? 

No. You simply open an account as Citigold and deposit the funds. It's the same with most banks. Citigold is actually considerably less expensive than many others, as it is just $50,000.  By contrast, Chase's equivalent (Chase Private Client) is $200,000 and HSBC Premier is $100,000.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.