Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit union denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit union denial

I signed up for a credit union and was denied because I was a member probably 15 or more years ago and they told me I did have an account and it was charged offed from the bancrptcy. This was so long ago. Do I have any  recourse?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit union denial

Try and join  another credit union. There are many you can join.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. I called a credit union that I was a member for 4 years and they closed in August. I called them today and looked at my information and my account was just closed for no activity. 

Message 3 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Rickdoc1 wrote:

Do I have any  recourse?

You'd have to ask that credit union.  See if they'll allow you to join if you settle the amount that was written off.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

any recommended credit union?

Message 5 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you really want to open an account with them, I suggest you call or visit and speak with a manager.

They most likely have a general policy that would need grant of an exception from a manater to approve.

Message 6 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Rickdoc1 wrote:

any recommended credit union?

There are an bunch of good national CU if they are of interest to you, DCU Alliant and NASA all seem to be pretty good. If you have any military affiliation i have also heard good stuff about NFCU and USAA?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would put a second vote out there for Alliant CU. So easy to sign up and they have great competitive products. I couldn't believe there plain ole regular savings account had a .8 apy while my regular BoA savings sits at a .01. Alliants rate is closer to my High Yield Savings Account with AMEX. They have rebuilding tools there too like secured loans.

Message 8 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would put a second vote out there for Alliant CU. So easy to sign up and they have great competitive products. I couldn't believe there plain ole regular savings account had a .8 apy while my regular BoA savings sits at a .01. Alliants rate is closer to my High Yield Savings Account with AMEX. They have rebuilding tools there too like secured loans.

they have been sending me pre approved email and snail mail offers for 1.99 % auto loans also. Better savings and checking rates, very competitive loan rates, access to 80,000 atms, and if you do use an "bank" atm you can get up to 20 dollars an month rebate on surcharges. I haven't used that feature but glad its out there. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.