Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU cancelled my membership

tag
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

DCU cancelled my membership

So this is a new one for me. I joined DCU a few weeks ago. I only opened a savings account as I was hoping to take advantage of their great auto loan rates in about 6 months. I got all my papers in the mail for membership, signed up for online access and I even received my first EQ credit score from them.

Fast forward to yesterday when I logged in it shows that I have no accounts with DCU. I called in and was told that a letter had been mailed to me. I got the letter today and it states that when they create an account they verify identifying information and apparently couldn't do so with me. Seems strange since I passed all the verfication questions when I applied for membership and I was granted membership instantly online.

It feels like I wasted the EQ HP to join only to have this happen. I don't understand their reasoning either. Why not try and make me verify more info if they need it? 

I wonder if I can have the membership HP removed from my EQ report. If they don't want my business that's fine. I want my HP back or at least the chance to verify myself. This is the first time this has happened to me since BBVA did this on the NBA Amex last year. My membership info matches what is in my CR so it's very confusing.....

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: DCU cancelled my membership

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

So this is a new one for me. I joined DCU a few weeks ago. I only opened a savings account as I was hoping to take advantage of their great auto loan rates in about 6 months. I got all my papers in the mail for membership, signed up for online access and I even received my first EQ credit score from them.

Fast forward to yesterday when I logged in it shows that I have no accounts with DCU. I called in and was told that a letter had been mailed to me. I got the letter today and it states that when they create an account they verify identifying information and apparently couldn't do so with me. Seems strange since I passed all the verfication questions when I applied for membership and I was granted membership instantly online.

It feels like I wasted the EQ HP to join only to have this happen. I don't understand their reasoning either. Why not try and make me verify more info if they need it? 

I wonder if I can have the membership HP removed from my EQ report. If they don't want my business that's fine. I want my HP back or at least the chance to verify myself. This is the first time this has happened to me since BBVA did this on the NBA Amex last year. My membership info matches what is in my CR so it's very confusing.....

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you; I would be annoyed as well.

I don't have any DCU specific experience, but if it were me, I would contact them to see what you could do to "cure" the issue... surely there's something you can do to (further) prove your identity, and like you mention, obviously they pulled your EQ, and they have that to go on.

This may have nothing to do with it, but by any chance do you have your secondary bureaus frozen?  Some folks freeze ARS/Sagestream for US Bank applications, and that has reportedly caused some ID verification issues when folks apply with other banks, such as BBVA.

If you're able to contact DCU so see about other ways to verify yourself, please let us know how it works out.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 24
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

Thanks for your response! When I spoke to their security dept they said that a letter was sent and they couldn't discuss it further. The rep did suggest I just try to open an account with a local CU instead lol

I don't have those other reports you mentioned frozen so I don't think that was the issue. I have no issue sending any documents they might need to verify me but they never even tried. 

I think now that I have the letter I may press a bit harder but at this point I think I am done with them. I want the HP removed.

Message 3 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

Thanks for your response! When I spoke to their security dept they said that a letter was sent and they couldn't discuss it further. The rep did suggest I just try to open an account with a local CU instead lol

I don't have those other reports you mentioned frozen so I don't think that was the issue. I have no issue sending any documents they might need to verify me but they never even tried. 

I think now that I have the letter I may press a bit harder but at this point I think I am done with them. I want the HP removed.

I understand and appreciate that feeling as well. 

Here's another way to put it... if they are being this difficult to work with for something as straight-forward as verifying your ID, can you imagine how they might be if something ever came up and money was involved?  Frankly, I want my money (and even my credit) with banks and credit unions that are easy to do business with, not only when things are good but (especially) when problems come up as well. 

Basically, If DCU is having this much difficulty with ID I would hate to see them deal with a 'real' issue.

Good luck with having them remove the HP... I agree that since it's an ID issue there's no reason they should have pulled credit to begin with.

Message 4 of 24
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

Common sense says this should happen.  However, I'd bet it won't.

Message 5 of 24
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

I'm going to call them Monday morning and I'll report back.

Message 6 of 24
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear. I guess I can consider myself lucky that they cancelled my membership before any other product was added. As for the HP it was painless and DCU simply re-coded it as SP. I am sure they will do the same for you if you ask.

Message 7 of 24
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

Sorry to hear. I guess I can consider myself lucky that they cancelled my membership before any other product was added. As for the HP it was painless and DCU simply re-coded it as SP. I am sure they will do the same for you if you ask.

Awesome! What procedure did you use to have them remove the HP (call, email, etc)?

Message 8 of 24
stellar
Established Contributor

I would let their executives know that this is happening.  It's silly in this day and age not to be able to verify identity or have a process to verify it.  And to lose customers over it is pretty serious from a business perspective.

Message 9 of 24
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Awesome! What procedure did you use to have them remove the HP (call, email, etc)?

I did complain by email first and got a call back afterwards. Even though their ID verification system really sucks I did have a very nice conversation with their rep and had a very good impression of their customer service 😀 ..the only complaint I had was their verification software. I should have answered in which year the apartment building was built ?? ..and I am not the owner but only rent. Because I refused to find out  from the owner of the building, DCU cancelled the whole process and this it what I would have suggested as well. To me it did not make any sense to answer this question nor was I interested to find out the correct answer. At that point I asked to remove the HP and it was really fast and painless. ..just a matter of hours (maybe a day) and EQ showed it as SP only. If you can get through their verification process I think it would be a nice CU but I could only consider it once I move to another address..lol

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.