cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Consolidation Loan - How to get one?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Consolidation Loan - How to get one?

I must be going about it wrong so I could use some  help on figuring out how to actually get a debt consolidation loan.

FICO Scores as of Today (4/7/2017)

Equifax - 620

Transunion - 639

Experian - 644

I have 100% on time payments, I have no negative remarks on my credit, I have 90%+ Credit Card Utilization (thus the entire reason why I want to get a debt consolidation loan), I have several recent inquiries (me applying for said loan but gettind denied because of my CC utilization and available credit).

I have a mortgage through US Bank - tried applying through them and was denied

I've been a Wells Fargo Member since 2006 - tried applying through them and was denied

I have tried Lending Tree and another internet lender - both denied

These debts have high interest rates and while if I keep paying the minimums while throwing extra money per month at them, it will eventually get better.  However I'm going to need a new car within the year (my current car is 14 years old and is starting to act like a 14 year old car) as well.  A debt consolidation loan would do two things (1) Free up excess money per month if I can get it at a decent rate and term length (15k @ 5 years would be perfect) (2) Every calculator I put this scenario into increases my score by at least 80 points.  So it would really be a win/win for me, except I can't get accepted for said loan.

So, how do I go about actually getting accepted for this type of a loan?  My scores aren't exactly good but they're not horrible either, and the only bad things on my report is the entire reason for the loan (high utilization and low available credit).

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Re: Debt Consolidation Loan - How to get one?

I got approved through One Main Financial with an EQ of ~580 but the rate was 21.75%. Still less than all of the cards I had balances on, but it's a lot of money. I hope to transfer that balance or take out another loan with a lower rate in the  next year.  My scores did jump significantly once my utilization dropped to single digits. 

They have a prequal tool on their site now. BUT, I did have to go into a branch to complete the paperwork.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the heads up, I filled out an application with them on Friday (Monday now) so hopefully everything goes well on it.  I'll update this thread if I do or don't get approved.

Message 3 of 4
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Good luck! Fingers crossed for you.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.