Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt consolidation Loan

tag
Jess21
Frequent Contributor

Debt consolidation Loan

Is there a place that will give you a debt consolidation loan when you have high balances on CC.  My husband has "good credit" about 675 score and is trying to get a debt consolidation loan of about $12k to pay off credit cards and hopefully a lower interest rate but gets denied because of short history (3yrs), and high balances, but Gosh that's the reason why he needs the loan, to pay those off.  ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

Equifax: 676 (myfico) Experian: 683(myfico) TransUnion: 689 (Barclays)

Current Goal: 700
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Debt consolidation Loan

@Jess21 wrote:

Is there a place that will give you a debt consolidation loan when you have high balances on CC.  My husband has "good credit" about 675 score and is trying to get a debt consolidation loan of about $12k to pay off credit cards and hopefully a lower interest rate but gets denied because of short history (3yrs), and high balances, but Gosh that's the reason why he needs the loan, to pay those off.  ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

Hi Jess, 

I don't know, there are just so many variables lenders consider. Lenders look at more than just scores. What's his DTI ratios? All 3 FICO scores? What is his UT in aggregate and for each individual card? Does he make more than the minimum pymt on each card? Are there any baddies or derogs on his CRs? All of these things are considered by lenders.

How many cards is he trying to pay off? Has he tried contacting each CCC and requesting APR reduction?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jess

Consider possibling going to a Credit Union! 

Either Local or someone of the big ones out there like NAVY FEDERAL, DCU, ..and others 

Look on the web for credit unions and call them and talk to them ....  

Message 3 of 12
Jess21
Frequent Contributor

Thank you,  We bank through the SECU so we are going to apply too but I have a feeling he'll be denied as well, his makes about 38k/yr and owes about $11k in cc debt.  He has no derrogatory marks on his reports,  just high balances on CC which is what we are t rying to work with

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jess....Try and Get in with NAvy Federal Credit Union!

You don;t have to be in the Military or Navy to join!

They are very willing to assist ...and help ....those who may not have the best credit scores!

Do some research type in Navy Federal and see what others on thie board say about them and ...at least call to talk to them ...they maybe able to help!

you never kno

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband just used upstart.com and got a 18k debt consolidation loan to pay off high balances with cc. It took about 2 weeks to get funded but we got it. Scores were around there and income as yours as well. Good luck
Message 6 of 12
Jess21
Frequent Contributor

What was the interest rate if you dont mind?

Message 7 of 12
Jess21
Frequent Contributor

Yeah im VERY familiar with Navy Federal they were awesome to me, but Im in the middle filing BK and they will be included in it,  We arent filing together so he is not affected but not use if they will look at it weird

Message 8 of 12
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

Re: Debt Consolidation Loan

Not sure if you're eligible, but try Navy Federal or your local credtit union.. I was denied for a debt consoldation at NFCU because of the same reasons you listed, but they approved me for a credit card that was equivalent to the amount of the loan I'd requested (separate apps..justt a conincidence).

Message 9 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi there OP,

I have removed your cross post on this topic from the rebuilding forum. Please refrain from cross posting in the future as it can lead to confusion by the members and its against our TOS to do so. I thank you for your understanding on this.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.