Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied a CLOC with Navy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied a CLOC with Navy

So, I said I would wait to apply for the CLOC with Navy but after reading about all these approvals I started to think even I could get approved despite my low EQ score (616). WRONG. They denied me so hard. Lol I tried sending a secure message asking for reconsideration but they gave me a number to call telling me I'd have to put in another application and speak with a loan officer. Should I? I really don't want another hit point but I'd like to get approved for SOMETHING since the whole point to use it to pay off a $2500 loan I took out last month that came with an outrageous apr (25%). I knew I shouldn't have applied so much ($15000) but I was a) trying to keep my utilization low and b) hoping they'd counter if they couldn't approve me for the full amount. If I do decide to call how much should I ask for? I feel like I should aim low, but how low? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
12njoy
Super Contributor

Re: Denied a CLOC with Navy

@Anonymous wrote:
So, I said I would wait to apply for the CLOC with Navy but after reading about all these approvals I started to think even I could get approved despite my low EQ score (616). WRONG. They denied me so hard. Lol I tried sending a secure message asking for reconsideration but they gave me a number to call telling me I'd have to put in another application and speak with a loan officer. Should I? I really don't want another hit point but I'd like to get approved for SOMETHING since the whole point to use it to pay off a $2500 loan I took out last month that came with an outrageous apr (25%). I knew I shouldn't have applied so much ($15000) but I was a) trying to keep my utilization low and b) hoping they'd counter if they couldn't approve me for the full amount. If I do decide to call how much should I ask for? I feel like I should aim low, but how low? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to hear about your denial.  The only thing we could give you is suggestions as you indicated but we would need more information like what current trade lines you have, any negatives you have, specifically what and how old, income, etc...

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 2 of 6
jeffm4688
Frequent Contributor

From what i've read it's usually best to ask for $500 just to get your foot in the door if you get denied the full amount, but obviously YMMV.

FICO 12/2015 - EX 692 TU 685

FICO 10/2021 - EX 596 TU 605 EQ 600 - officially rebuilding.

What survived:
Amex HH - 1.5K | Amex Delta - 1K | Amex Bonvoy - 1.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex Business Cash- 2K | Amex Business Plus - 2K
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies everyone! I guess it would have been helpful to add a bit of information to my post...oops! Anyway, I did actually just bite the bullet and call the number to put in another application. I asked for a humble $500 and the loan officer put me on hold for about two minutes. She came back on the line and said it would need further review. Bummer. I wake up this morning and what do I see?! A text from Navy congratulating me because I was approved!! I do wish I could have save myself a hit point and just asked for $500 to begin with so it was definitely a learning experience. At least now I have my foot in the door and I can hopefully get an increase in the next 6 months! Thanks again guys for all your suggestions and advice!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aaaaand there goes my happiness. I happened to check my credit reports today and I see another hit point for NFCU on TU instead of EQ. I don't know why I didn't stop to think that they could possibly pull another bureau if they couldn't qualify me through my EQ score the first time. I know I should be grateful that they even approved me for anything but I already have so many inquiries on TU already that I probably would have just left it alone and not tried to recon if i knew they were going to pull another bureau. I should have asked before it was done though so the fault lies with me. Smiley Sad Oh well. I went to the branch today to sign my paperwork so at least I have my foot in the door...

Message 5 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Aaaaand there goes my happiness. I happened to check my credit reports today and I see another hit point for NFCU on TU instead of EQ. I don't know why I didn't stop to think that they could possibly pull another bureau if they couldn't qualify me through my EQ score the first time. I know I should be grateful that they even approved me for anything but I already have so many inquiries on TU already that I probably would have just left it alone and not tried to recon if i knew they were going to pull another bureau. I should have asked before it was done though so the fault lies with me. Smiley Sad Oh well. I went to the branch today to sign my paperwork so at least I have my foot in the door...

With NFCU, anytime you 'recon' it's generally another HP, and that's with any of their products.

In any case, you got your foot in the door, so there's that to be happy about!  In a few months you'll likely qualify for a CLI as well (keep in mind for the CLOC it's always a HP for CLIs).  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.