cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CB Checking--2X rewards for next 2 months!

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Discover CB Checking--2X rewards for next 2 months!

Just a heads up!

20 cents back for every 53-cent cup of Cuban coffee--sounds like a great deal to me!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Discover CB Checking--2X rewards for next 2 months!

That's cool. I rarely use my debit card (actually, never) and it's not worth the hassle of switching over to Discover. Still, I see the value for small transactions.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a mailer for a bonus on a new savings account and started considering moving some banking over to Discover. I started looking into things and saw I just missed a bonus on opening a checking account (9/15/15). I know I got mailers for that but I hadn't hatched my new plan yet. Awww. 

In any case, I've been searching here and elsewhere for info/reviews on checking and savings and am not coming up with much. Since this is a new thread, I'd welcome hearing any thoughts. The thing that's made me wary is reading about potential slow transfers. The thing that I like about Discover is their interface on most things is done well. I'd been thinking of doing this bit of banking/bill pay etc. with US Bank or DCU but their sites/apps haven't wowed me. 

Message 3 of 8
axlm
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a mailer for a bonus on a new savings account and started considering moving some banking over to Discover. I started looking into things and saw I just missed a bonus on opening a checking account (9/15/15). I know I got mailers for that but I hadn't hatched my new plan yet. Awww. 

In any case, I've been searching here and elsewhere for info/reviews on checking and savings and am not coming up with much. Since this is a new thread, I'd welcome hearing any thoughts. The thing that's made me wary is reading about potential slow transfers. The thing that I like about Discover is their interface on most things is done well. I'd been thinking of doing this bit of banking/bill pay etc. with US Bank or DCU but their sites/apps haven't wowed me. 

I'm trying hard to like them, but so far no much luck. Here is my experience:

I use them mainly to park part of my rainy day funds in their Savings, and to pay my ebills for the cashback checking bonus. Transfers are very slow indeed, like 4 -5 business days, so I usually push the money from Alliant (is free) if I want to move the money quickly.

Their online banking and CS are not too great (nothing like their credit card side): slow and clunky, seems to go offline more frequently than others, although nothing earthbreaking. The worst for me is that if you schedule a transfer and it happens to start processing on Friday**, then the whole transaction dissapears during the weekend. I almost get a NSF fee on my BofA because, after contacting them 4 times about the missing transfer ( I needed the money to be there by the following week) and they assured me the 4 times that there was no trace of the transfer on their systems, so sorry but you need to re-schedule it. Lucky me I decided to wait until Monday, lo and behold, the transfered money was rigth there as was the transaction record!

If you have a way to ACH your money from other institutions and/or don't intend to use the account for critical stuff, they are OK. But since I became a member of Alliant CU, I'm considering more and more to move away from Discover.

** Edit: I'm not exactly sure if it is when they start processing or actually processed the transaction. It was a weird thing, like the transaction changed its status, but the systems did not actually updated things during the weekend, so it ceased to appear on scheduled transactions, but was not in completed transactions, either.

Last update: NOV 2022

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover's banking side is NOTHING like the credit card side. The interface is outdated and slow to use. It goes down frequently. Frequent errors and bugs. The CSRs are okay but nowhere near as good as the credit card ones.

Transfers are SLOW indeed! Really everything about the account feels slow. 

I keep $50 in the account and I use it for small transactions for the cashback bonus. Any transaction under $5 (fast food typically). I would not suggest making this a primary checking account. They just don't have it figured out yet. It's nice because it is a debit card with rewards, which is rare, and the rewards are good - but I would never make this account my primary checking account. Too slow and too buggy. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm going to go with DCU for a while. I tried an ACH and an iphone app deposit from my primary checking (another CU). ACH was ok. iPhone deposit was quick! I'm not in love with the web interface, but I like the phone app. And I'm going to check out the Finance Works thing they offer and see if it will keep me from logging into so many other places so often. So far, so good.

Message 6 of 8
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Pros:

• ACHs from Discover Bank to Chase scheduled before 5pm on a weekday are available the next business day (IME)
  • 10 cents per debit card transaction is great for small purchases (they run 20 cents per transaction promotions several times a year)
  • CSRs are obnoxiously friendly

Cons:

• Website is slooooooooow
  • Mobile app has glitches (if you make a transfer, account balances don't update if you try to make a second transfer right away)
  • When you use the bill pay feature, they don't take the money out of the account right away (like Chase does), so the money sits there for days until the payee receives it/cashes the check

Message 7 of 8
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Overall, not bad, but not quite ready for prime time yet

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.