Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Personal Loan experience

Great info.
Message 11 of 31
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

Well I received a phone call from Discover at 6pm CST asking for me to call them - again, the application status says approved online, so I will call them in the morning to determine what they say. Hopefully it's not some insane APR or I will decline - if in fact approved.
Message 12 of 31
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@babson wrote:
Well I received a phone call from Discover at 6pm CST asking for me to call them - again, the application status says approved online, so I will call them in the morning to determine what they say. Hopefully it's not some insane APR or I will decline - if in fact approved.

Called in this morning and was approved for a 30k loan for a term of 7 years at 9% APR.  No type of origination fees or any penalties for paying off loan early.  30k is to be deposited in my bank account within 2 business days.  Beyond the conufsion from the system indicating approved out of the gate, then going back to call us, it was painless experience.  I did submit a picture of a pay stub, but honestly I also indicated to them that they could check my Discover bank account for the bi-weekly electronic deposits.

Here are some data points to help anyone out.  My income is 120k per year.  Relationship with Discover is about 2 years - Discover IT and bank accounts (checking/savings).  Originally they were trying to push 11% APR, but when I was about to balk they transferred me to a senior analyst.  He offered the 9% since I was having payments automatically withdrawn from my Discover bank account.  

Message 13 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

CONGRATULATIONS babson!!! Thanks so very much for sharing such a detailed account of your adventure through this process. I had always been curious at what all was involved,and how the process worked with the Discover personal loan. Thnaks again - I'm sure many folks found this interesting and educational.

Message 14 of 31
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS babson!!! Thanks so very much for sharing such a detailed account of your adventure through this process. I had always been curious at what all was involved,and how the process worked with the Discover personal loan. Thnaks again - I'm sure many folks found this interesting and educational.

Thank you sir.  I hope the data points will be useful for someone going forward.  

Message 15 of 31
sunkissed
Established Contributor

babson, Congratulations on the approval and awesome terms!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. 

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 16 of 31
1768geme
Established Member

What kind of documentation  did they ask for

Message 17 of 31
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

The only thing I uploaded was a bi-weekly pay statement.
Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting! Thanks!

Message 19 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all.

Please if the OP can shed some light on this. Do they always require POI? 'Cause I do not have that and I am planning to apply mid-late next month, when I expect to see some major bump up in my scores (clean record plus planning to add at least 1 or 2 AUs).

I registered my non-profit last January (it's a charity/foundation...very beginning stages). We were able to raise $120,000 (we do this through investments), but I focused all the resources on setting things up, and even now, it is still too early to be thinking about paying myself a salary.

The best I can do is to set up payroll and print out the paystubs to show lenders that ask (please don't judge!). Paystubs showing that I started receiving a salary in December 2016. However, I do not want to have to do this. I understand that this will further complicate things, as that means I will have to send in money to the IRS (however that works, will have to find out), and make sure I file taxes next year....basically I don't want to focus on tax and accounting and tax-related issues yet until we've reached our next financial milestone (before the end of the year). Then I can start making arrangements for a salary (taxes, accouting, etc.).

I want to do all my borrowing strictly based on my score and profile. No running around for paper work, especially if my score will be in the high-600s to mid-700s by then (God willing).

I really want advice, please if sb can help out. This forum has been amazing! I can't even....I just started builiding in January (NOT re-building, mind you) and myfico has been my #1 resource.

I want to apply for a Discover loan , because they were the first credit card I opened-$500 unsecured- and I think I will have a great chance for a $25-30k loan. I am pretty sure at least 2 of the 3 bureaus report it as my oldest line.

Any thoughts and advice will be helpful.

Btw, my signature is not 100% accurate. Updated!

ETA:- Actually registered my non-profit in January 2016, not January 2017.

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.