Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Savings Account Qs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Savings Account Qs

I'm thinking about opening a Discover savings account. I already have a joint It credit card account (on which I'm the primary), and Chase is paying very little on my savings.

1. Is anyone aware of a promo code that offers more than $50 for a Discover savings account? I'd be moving about $30k-$40k.

2. Am I correct in thinking that Discover no longer requires a separate login? That is, I could access both the individual Discover Savings account and the joint credit card account with my current credit card ID and password? I have no problem with the joint CC holder having access to the savings account.

3. Am I correct in thinking that there will be no HP?

4. Instead of Discover, can anyone think of a good checking or savings bonus and/or APY that I might consider instead? Avoiding a HP would be necessity. I like Discover's customer service, so it would have to offer at least 1.5% for me to go elsewhere. I've heard of rates around 4%, but those seem to be promo offers of credit unions for which I might not be eligible.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Savings Account Qs

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm thinking about opening a Discover savings account. I already have a joint It credit card account (on which I'm the primary), and Chase is paying very little on my savings.

1. Is anyone aware of a promo code that offers more than $50 for a Discover savings account? I'd be moving about $30k-$40k.

2. Am I correct in thinking that Discover no longer requires a separate login? That is, I could access both the individual Discover Savings account and the joint credit card account with my current credit card ID and password? I have no problem with the joint CC holder having access to the savings account.

3. Am I correct in thinking that there will be no HP?

4. Instead of Discover, can anyone think of a good checking or savings bonus and/or APY that I might consider instead? Avoiding a HP would be necessity. I like Discover's customer service, so it would have to offer at least 1.5% for me to go elsewhere. I've heard of rates around 4%, but those seem to be promo offers of credit unions for which I might not be eligible.

1. There are offers floating around where you get $100 if you deposit at least 10K, but I don't know of any promo codes

2. I am not aware of this. I have a separate login for my CC and my Discover checking + savings.

3. No HP for savings. They might pull Chex or something, but not one of the big 3 CRAs

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used promo code Save4915 for the $100/$10k offer. I did have to create a new signon ID.

Message 3 of 5
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I opened a Discover checking in early Sept, got the $50 bonus.

2- Discover added my banking to my Discover card login, both bank & CC accounts are there and can switch between them, very similar to Barclays & Cap One where I have 2 CCs - both accounts there on one login, can swtich between them

3- Discover bank pulled Chex system for me, when I opened an account at a CU a week later the Disco inquiry was there. But no HP on CR.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to the information I obtained from Discover Bank, they can link a Discover Checking Account right with the Discover Card in one login. If a person has a Savings account it would be as part of a separate login. Another poster on here mentioned that you get the login screen and can select credit card or bank for the login. That is what I have. Pushed on Discover Bank to get modern and allow all of the accounts access with one login. They are working on it so they say (for more than one year as I have been riding them on this point).
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.