cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I Need A Financial Adviser?

tag
notapainter

Do I Need A Financial Adviser?

I'm a single 23 y/o, in a part time MBA program, and working full time. Current salary is $55k, $7k in credit card debt, and $20k in graduate student loans so far. I'd like to talk to a financial adviser to figure out a debt repayment plan, and a saving and investment plan. I have little savings, about $3k in a 401K, and monthly expenses are about 45% of my monthly take home pay. Do I need an adviser? I hear they can charge $100-500 per hour, so I need to know if this is a good investment into my future or should I just take that money and payoff my credit cards.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do I Need A Financial Adviser?

You do not need a financial adviser -- just a bit of reading and common sense.

1. Keep current on all your accoutns.

2. Have a budget for all your monthly expenses -- separates needs vs wants. only keep wants that you really really really really want.

3. Figure what is left over and decide how to use it. In order:

a) does your employer match 401k plans? if yes then contribute up to the match.

b) do you have an emergency fund? It should last you 6-9 months and my guess is the ~3k you have  (if i understood you correctly and those 3k are in  401k that is not an emergency fund at all, emergency funds are in fdic insured savings accounts) are not sufficeint. Build that up first based on what you come up with in step 2.

c) pay off the credit card debt asap startign witht he highest interest rate one

d) when you have paid off all the debt btu the student laon debt consider then what your fiancial goals are....do you want to buy a house? or be debt free? are you saving enough for retirement? this will determine what you need to do next.

In general as loans go student debts are not a bad debt to have as logn as you keep current. 

Message 2 of 8
notapainter

Thank you for the reply. I'll take what you said into consideration. I have $7k saved, but I didn't know if I should use that to pay for a semester in school or my credit card debt. This is helpful advice.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@notapainter wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I'll take what you said into consideration. I have $7k saved, but I didn't know if I should use that to pay for a semester in school or my credit card debt. This is helpful advice.

at 55k per year pay, after taxes you clear something in the 2.5-3k range a month. Of which roughtly half goes to living expenses so about 1.25-1.5k per month. A 6 months  emergency fund is 7.5k to 9k, a 10 month emergency fund is 12.5 to 15k. Which one of these emergency funds do you want? It is up to you to decide what is a good risk for you.  i mean a fiancial manger can produce a nubmer for you btu honestly you are the only one who knows what your risk aversion is. 

Neither credit cards nor schooling normally qualify as an emergency. So that emergency fund should stay as is. Emergency fund is for when you lose your job, or you get sick, or you need to visit a family member in the hospital 10 states away. You know real emergencies.  Don't touch it. 

As for priorities. It is about risk again.

For example if you envision filing for bankruptcy, then of course you pay the student loans because they cannot be discharged. If you do not then you pay off the credit cards because they are the higher interest rate and a bad debt. do you feel comfortable taking the risk that nothing will happen and therefore you should pay off CC or do yowu ant to isnure (and how much) against bankruptcy and having student loans to pay?  Again the financial adviser can pull out a number but only you know what you are comfrotable with.

As for school -- it is an investment in you. If finishing the degree would lead to a pay increase then you need to do do the calcualtion for each scenario and determine which one is more beneficial long term.

Fianl word, there is a general guideline that the younger you are the more willing you shoudl be to take risks....  the reasoning being that you have more time to work out problems...

Message 4 of 8
notapainter

Well, I was thinking that I could use my credit cards as an temporary emergency fund while I build back cash up after paying them off, because the amount of money I'm loosing (accruing interest) keeping a balance right now. But, I do see your point.

Message 5 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You do not need a financial adviser -- just a bit of reading and common sense.

1. Keep current on all your accoutns.

2. Have a budget for all your monthly expenses -- separates needs vs wants. only keep wants that you really really really really want.

3. Figure what is left over and decide how to use it. In order:

a) does your employer match 401k plans? if yes then contribute up to the match.

b) do you have an emergency fund? It should last you 6-9 months and my guess is the ~3k you have  (if i understood you correctly and those 3k are in  401k that is not an emergency fund at all, emergency funds are in fdic insured savings accounts) are not sufficeint. Build that up first based on what you come up with in step 2.

c) pay off the credit card debt asap startign witht he highest interest rate one

d) when you have paid off all the debt btu the student laon debt consider then what your fiancial goals are....do you want to buy a house? or be debt free? are you saving enough for retirement? this will determine what you need to do next.

In general as loans go student debts are not a bad debt to have as logn as you keep current. 

Don't forget to throw in an ira after you fund your emergency fund imo. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

You don't need to talk to a financial advisor, but you should talk to a friend or family member that is financially savvy to draft out a plan. I've helped a lot of friends this way. Talk through their finances and future goals for 2 hours or so, establish a specific plan, and do a weekly or monthly check-in to make sure they stick with the plan agreed upon. A lot of this is common sense. It's the consistent action that is hard to maintain, hence the periodic check-in. OP, PM me if you want my help.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@notapainter wrote:

Well, I was thinking that I could use my credit cards as an temporary emergency fund while I build back cash up after paying them off, because the amount of money I'm loosing (accruing interest) keeping a balance right now. But, I do see your point.

i do know how you feel...

About 2 yrs out of school I had prioritized paying off school associated debt (you should see the interest on international student loans! actually worse than most credit cards...) and not the emergency fund. 

Then this happened: a few months of unmployment and with partner ending up in the emergency room and moving across country for the new job. No emergency fund meant credit card debt (tbh for me a better option since i had better credit than international student loans assume but not the point). 

Either way **bleep** happened and i was going to be in debt. But if i had my emergency fund, I woudln't have had to do **bleep** things like taking a cash advance to pay rent. And i would have spent time on partner and me, rather than spending many sleepless nights figuring how to pay for things and how to stay current on stuff. i ended up destroying my health a bit in the process.

This btw with a job lined up so i knew i was going to have an income. it took me several years to become debt free. I paid myself first in my employer matched 401k, then the emergency fund then the debt.  Yes I paid a bit mroe in interest. No, I do not regret it... when another emergency or two popped up I had the money, took care of the problem, put the paying back of debt on hold until i recovered the emergency fund and then finally paid it off.  in other words i stayed on track and didn't loose sleep over how i am going to juggle bills.

There are strategies to work your debt. Call all of your cards and ask them to lwoer their interest rate. Look for 0 blanace transfer offers (be careful to do your math if they are worth it) both on new cards or existing cards (the latter works better once you pay a card off). Worst case there is the barcley ring which has a low 8-9 % interest rate with no balance transfer fee nowadays too. Transfer the high interest rate cards first, then rerank your cards and pay off the high interest rate cards first while styaing current on all the rest and snowball the process.

Discover the fun things to do for almost free -- parks, picnics, free concerts, free tastings, game nights or dinner nights with friends at home, trying unique grape wines even if they were in the low price section of the wine store. I left a few boxes unpacked and "went shopping" in there for when i had the urge to go shopping. If you haven't seen that shade of nailpolish in 6 months it is new to you again Smiley Tongue.

Occasionally treat yourself. Set goals: save 50 bucsk in interest? one time use that saved interest for a treat then go back to putting that towards debt.

Make a spreadsheet -- doesn;t have to be complex. Mine had whom i owe how much and total debt at the top. The account i was working off in red.

Then whom i paid how much each month.  When i paid off an account i made it green and delighted in putting 0 in that card column for payments every month.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.