cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you ever pay for anything with your debit card?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do you ever pay for anything with your debit card?

@barbaralee wrote:

ATM and anything that would be considered a cash advance (which is very rare). My hubby has never consistently used a debit card. When he turned 18 his mom applied for a Capital One card for him, and his brother told him to use it to build his credit. The rest is history. 

Hah wish my mom the accountant had done that for me, life might not have been better but it would've been different.

        
Message 11 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if this would be the place to ask, but it seems like a good thread just to pop a question in.

Just recently securing my first two cc's($200 Secured Cap1, and a $500 secured card from my bank), would it be safe to retire my debit card and use my credit cards. Then just PIF every month?

Up until this point I've used my debit card to pay for everything.

Message 12 of 31
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if this would be the place to ask, but it seems like a good thread just to pop a question in.

Just recently securing my first two cc's($200 Secured Cap1, and a $500 secured card from my bank), would it be safe to retire my debit card and use my credit cards. Then just PIF every month?

Up until this point I've used my debit card to pay for everything.

Yup!  ASAP in my opinion.  

The usual risk people mention is people start treating credit cards as free money; however, if you have the discipline just to PIF every month, there's much upside to using credit cards over debit ones and zero downside.  Excellent start as well!

        
Message 13 of 31
victor7
Established Member

Overall, it seems most people here would recommend never using a debit card for routine purchases. I agree; a credit card is better. Forget the rewards, the fraud protection alone makes it a better choice. You are not liable for credti card fraud in the US. In some cases, you may be liable for some debit card fraud. Regardless, the money has already been removed (stolen) directly from your account.

However, to the OP's question: there is a case where I do sometimes use my debit cards for purchases: in Europe. I typically use my European Chip-and-PIN cards there, but debit cards work equally well, and I occasionally use them. (And the fraud liability works a bit differently there.)

Message 14 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use it at the atm when the bank is closed to deposit checks/cash.  Smiley Wink  Getting a bit dusty.

Message 15 of 31
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I use it at the atm when the bank is closed to deposit checks/cash.  Smiley Wink  Getting a bit dusty.

There's probably an app for that Smiley Happy.

The cash bit, yeah I just for whatever reason have never deposited cash via ATM which is a personal problem I'm sure.

        
Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, have it but it always gives me some sort of a problem.  One customer, in particular, writes like a chicken.  And she owns over 80 rental homes.  So we get alot of biz from her.  But the bank can't read her checks. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 31
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, have it but it always gives me some sort of a problem.  One customer, in particular, writes like a chicken.  And she owns over 80 rental homes.  So we get alot of biz from her.  But the bank can't read her checks. Smiley Wink

Don't know what bank you use, but I run into the same thing when my Dad writes me a check. Smiley LOL The app just can't read it (however, it has no problem with my Mom's handwriting!); the mobile deposit app is perfect for printed checks (ie- a paycheck) though. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 18 of 31
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

@Taoron wrote:

I have heard that it's unwise to pay for stuff with your debit card.  Up until this, I would use my debit card for everything.  I don't carry any debt, except for on my secured card which I pay off every month.   It's only $400 and manageable. 

So my question is, what are the opinions of the people here on the use of debit cards? 

It's funny you asked this.  I was wondering just today "why am I using my debit card for this when I could be getting rewards"?  I guess I will hang mine up and go to a life of carrying a hot $20 and a cc.

8/22/18: BK7 filed EXP 490 TU 430 EQ 429
11/28/18: BK7 discharged EXP 586 TU 578 EQ 527
06/08/21: EXP 656 TU 643 EQ 701
Message 19 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use it once a quarter maybe when I go to Aldi, otherwise I can't remember the last time I used a debit card.......

I do use it to make ATM cash deposits, so I have to carry it. 

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.