Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you trust your balances?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you trust your balances?

Especially for those of you who have (and frequently use) multiple credit cards, do you trust them to post the correct balance everyday and each statement? I have been meticulously keeping record of every receipt for all five of my cards, checking each transaction online and doing the math down to the penny. I wish I could just trust the credit card company's math, after all, I've never had them post an incorrect amount this far. Am I just being way to cautious? Can I back off a little bit? What do you guys do?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you trust your balances?

@Anonymous wrote:

Especially for those of you who have (and frequently use) multiple credit cards, do you trust them to post the correct balance everyday and each statement? I have been meticulously keeping record of every receipt for all five of my cards, checking each transaction online and doing the math down to the penny. I wish I could just trust the credit card company's math, after all, I've never had them post an incorrect amount this far. Am I just being way to cautious? Can I back off a little bit? What do you guys do?

Hello Ms,

I definitely trust my balances, but not my restaurant ones (tips).

I don't think you have to be that meticulous about the balances posting correctly. When I see my statement, I just check the places I've been to to see if I recognize the amounts and places. Smiley Happy 

Message 2 of 6
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

after all, I've never had them post an incorrect amount this far.

Well if you did find a discrepancy then I would had say yes, but I don't see any reasons to be paranoid especially using CCs vs. debit card. Even if there is an issue, just dispute it.

I do look at my charges when they post but never add them all up with my store receipt to see if they add up! You are more likely to find errors at grocery stores when they ringing your items up, then your statements!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, if you really want to track everything, you could enter all your receipts into an excel file to add up to the statement later on. I think that would be much easier. 

Message 4 of 6
elim
Senior Contributor

Mobile Alerts will let you know instantly (on most cards) the amount that just ran through that card while the receipt is still in your hand.   I'm an "over-logger-inner" and I have never found an error on any of my cards.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol Thanks you guys! I guess I can ease up a little bit.

@Monogot, Good idea about using Excel by the way!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.