Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does NFCU run hard inquiries?

tag
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Re: Does NFCU run hard inquiries?

If they pulled me for membership last week it was a soft pull.  And a HP on TU for a CC last night.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EAJuggalo
Just for DP. Do you mind me asking the State? And what card you applied for. I know financial institutions will pull certain credit bureaus for certain cards. Thanks in advance!
Message 12 of 22
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

WI, Cash Rewards.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EAJuggalo

Thanks for the update! Smiley Happy

I joined NFCU yesterday but won't app for any of their cards until the end of next year. I must stay in the garden til then
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined NFCU in July - August with eligibility from my wife having an account. It was either a soft and or chexsystem inquiry, I did not get any HP until I applied for my cash rewards card. I'll give some details about my membership process that might explain why and help you avoid one.

My wife had a savings account with them 20+ years ago from an uncle in the navy, and they agreed to open her account again. I haven't looked at her reports lately so I dunno if she took a HP or not. Fast forward 5 or so months and we get around to moving all assets from WF to navy, starting with faxing paperwork to add me as joint owner on her checking & savings. I get added and thought I was good to go, only to find that I couldn't open any accounts or loans. I call and find out that while yes I am a joint holder of the accounts, this does NOT grant me membership & the ability to open new products or do anything outside the joint account.

Since we're married it was a simple matter of scanning the completed membership app & sending it via secure message. In about 2-3 days I received notice of approval and my new individual access number to use. I didn't get a HP from the membership process, my only next HP came from cashRewards card a month or so later. So maybe you'll be able to skirt a HP by having your wife add you as joint first then after you're added call them like I did and they'll get you going on the membership process.

To be safe, I would always assume you can and will get a HP but it's not set in stone.
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SlightlyRemoved

Thanks for the tips! Smiley Happy

Do you remember who did they pull for the Cash Rewards card? 

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Happy to help, hopefully it'll work in similar fashion for your membership too.

They pulled TU for my cash rewards in Virginia.
Message 17 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I joined NFCU in July - August with eligibility from my wife having an account. It was either a soft and or chexsystem inquiry, I did not get any HP until I applied for my cash rewards card. I'll give some details about my membership process that might explain why and help you avoid one.

My wife had a savings account with them 20+ years ago from an uncle in the navy, and they agreed to open her account again. I haven't looked at her reports lately so I dunno if she took a HP or not. Fast forward 5 or so months and we get around to moving all assets from WF to navy, starting with faxing paperwork to add me as joint owner on her checking & savings. I get added and thought I was good to go, only to find that I couldn't open any accounts or loans. I call and find out that while yes I am a joint holder of the accounts, this does NOT grant me membership & the ability to open new products or do anything outside the joint account.

Since we're married it was a simple matter of scanning the completed membership app & sending it via secure message. In about 2-3 days I received notice of approval and my new individual access number to use. I didn't get a HP from the membership process, my only next HP came from cashRewards card a month or so later. So maybe you'll be able to skirt a HP by having your wife add you as joint first then after you're added call them like I did and they'll get you going on the membership process.

To be safe, I would always assume you can and will get a HP but it's not set in stone.

Thanks for sharing the specifics of your membership experience... if it can be replicated by others it will be an interesting way to bypass the initial HP for membership for those who have a spouse who is already a member!  Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@EAJuggalo

Thanks for the update! Smiley Happy

I joined NFCU yesterday but won't app for any of their cards until the end of next year. I must stay in the garden til then

Hi West!  Would you mind pulling your reports in a week or two and tell us whether you got a hard pull for joining?  We seem to have had mixed reports from people as to whether they got an HP, even in the last 4-5 months.

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Happy to help UncleB. For someone like me with adhd who takes meds that make me wordy sharing extended data points is a win win. I get to submit a wall of text and others gain insight and useful information.

Seriously though I feel bad about my text walls but I can't help it.
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.