Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally NFCU CLOC APPROVED!

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Finally NFCU CLOC APPROVED!

@kobe2012 wrote:
Applied 4 times since membership opened in July 2016, finally got an approval today .. only asked $5000... BK 7 discharged 12/2015... does anyone know how I can send in the documents online??

You can't but you can fax it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 31 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO if you allow 6-8 reporting cycles worth of beautiful payment history AND outstanding (1-9%) debt utilization FORCE feed up the credit profile...

Chances would be much better than expecting much different outcomes a few months after initial small SLs were issued, especially coupled with non impressive debt utilization.

Think of it, this way....If a borrower barely got in only 2-3 cycles ago, how much as CHANGED...And even worse and riskier looking, said borrower already seems THRISTY

Yes, the rich it richer and the less desperate to get look desperate, which on paper isn't sexy enough to be the file to CHANCE, even more

I advise clients that sometimes, you can't seem like you've got ants in your pants for more credit when it looks like you can't even gracefully handle what you have.

I some will say push a lot of spend and the activity will impress your way to larger lines but folks forget a few things

1) Every lender is different
2) Newer or weaker profiles may come across as DESPERATE vs needing more room to fulfill the usage of the borrower, a 'good' risk.

Some files are recovering, some just brand new, they all give different impressions even given similar activity.

Work on building the SCORE with low ratios and save the HPs till you have enough DATA to warrant a fresh look

Debt load on low limit CCs screams RISK as an UW...

What does it mean, when a new or newly building mid-level at best low CL account has LESS than impeccable debt usage?

RISK and same ole profile just approved showing possible signs of TROUBLE

Let a little grass grow under your feet and you won't seem so needy and bet your odds go up
Hope that helps someone
Message 32 of 38
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Well put Gemini, this is very good food for thought !
Message 33 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aduke
You said, your scores are kinda stuck in the mid 600s
After your clean up and you mentioned seeking a lower SL on a CLOC

1) When you're ready to app the CLOC
Don't play coy with your ask, if you're gonna app with Navy go ahead and app
If they counter, great...If not THEN do the "please please my I" act
Upfront it looks weak and limits, your ability and the UWers ability to counter or consider a lower amount.
If your ask is already low, there's no where to pivot.

This varies by lender but with Navy, specifically you don't see many offers of say a 2k SL after a 5 or 7k ask
It's either the house (15k) or an ask for it all countered by them or a denial and a recon
Now other vendors routinely offer 1,2 & 3k LOC just not Navy.
*This is what makes it hard to give blanket advice because, different vendors leave clues and bread crumbs about how they roll.
Then other things are about stroking the 3 party credit scoring model, period.

2) As to your clean and score stagnation
Do you keep your REPORTED debt load down?
If you're in the 'process' of paying down A debt...No biggie, as you chop it down your score will increase.
However, if it's just how you handle your monthly spend and pay cycle....

You might want to manipulate the WHEN you do your monthly pay down, just to look beautiful on REPORTING days

Too often ppl wait, till the statement comes out
Then they pay and wonder WHY, their scores don't go up and the counterintuitive action that needs to happen is the 'pre-pay' some of that bill so it all doesn't report on a statement close , which is just manipulation of REPORTED debt load for the SNAPSHOT that counts.
The debt load can be jacked right back up the following day, as long as it looks PRETTY on picture day.

Controlling your look on PICTURE day may grab you 30-40 points and definitely make profiles look like beautifully lipstick pigs...At least on paper 😎

Go get your points!
Message 34 of 38
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Hey @Gemini thanks for all your advice , I really appreciate it all. Yes my scores have been sort of stuck in mid 650s , it's due to opening new accounts IL almost positive, I started building my credit the start of 2016 and have opened 7 accounts over last year which I know only time will help that , up until last year I had never had any revolving credit , I only had installment loans . Which has helped my over age of credit . I didn't use any credit for many many years after my divorce in 06 , but still got collections along the way but all of those have been paid and removed now .

As far as my Utilozation goes , from this forum I learned to only let less than 10 % report each mth on one acct and the rest report 0 balance . I absolutely stuck to that method if not very very close to it all year until around OCT and I got some balances reporting with the holidays which I'm currently paying it all off now .

As far as how and when I pay my bills , I pay most of my payment on the due date, then pay the rest off bf my statements close a few days later . So between my new accts and inquiries , along with my added balances I am sure that's what is keeping me stuck . Hopefully I'll see a move starting this mth as I have paid a big portion of my balances already . Thanks again for the advice .
Message 35 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ya'll... newbie here and congrats to the OP 😊

I have a question but a little background history first: I've been a Navy Federal Credit Union member since 2013 and have a history of direct deposit throughout my membership time to-date. I first filed BK after divorce #1. Changed my mind cause it wasn't worth it (this reports as dismissed). Filed again, joint, with husband #2 for CH13 and 3yrs in... we decided to divorce. At that point the trustee dismissed our case because we didn't want the same attorney (so now this reports as dismissed). The first two dismissed bk's I didn't have debt however... I filed because TX is a community property state and his debts (although it was just in his name) were my debts. So I got the creditor calls and threats he ignored. I, again, filed bankruptcy in August 2015 and discharged November 2015 (no bad history with NFCU ever) to exclude myself from all his debts. All accounts on my reports at the time were PIF and closed. Anywho, after the BK DC, I took about 6-7 months gardening and cleaning my reports (mainly personal information and inquiries that weren't mines). In June 2016, I opened a Self Lender account. This is automatically drafted from my NFCU account every month. In July 2016, I applied for a Capital One Secured Visa and was approved for 49/200. I did invest a little more to this card to bring it to a credit limit of 300. I leave about 9-10% on this card, every month, to report... then a few days later, pay the 9-10% in full. To-date, my limit was raised to 600. In August I enrolled in NFCU's oops program (I do have some of my direct deposit going to my other account at Discover Bank as well). There were only a few times I needed it and it was paid back within days (so my history with oops is great). In November 2016, I opened up a secured loan with NFCU (400 for 6mos) in which I started making payments one (1) month in advance PLUS I use the transfer method when paying my bill (payment history is great). Four days ago, Feb 2, I tried my luck and hit the luv button on applying for a Cash Rewards Visa cc with NFCU. I received the 24 hour message (they ran TU only). Around 2 a.m., I received the approval from NFCU for $19,500 SL. The next day, I applied for a $15k CLOC and received the 24hr message again (they ran EQ first then TU). I hadn't heard back from them so I called. They then told me it was declined for bankruptcy and little account history (i need more accounts with lengthy payment history).

My husband has a USAA card he added me on a few months back as an AU. This brought my AAoA to 1yr 8mos on my reports however this USAA card is ONLY reporting on my EX and TU report not EQ... which is weird. So my EQ shows my AAoA at 5 or 6 months. Also note that my first two BK's are reporting on EQ NOT the current discharged BK. The other reports have a three BK's and are my highest scores at 682 and 691 (mortgage scores via SWBC). EQ is sitting at a mortgage score of 644.

Im wondering why NFCU would run TU and not consider it because the denial was based off my EQ report? Is this something I should recon?

I have no collections and everything on my report, whether open or closed, are all in the green (paid in full and paid on time). My personal history shows the same address i've lived at for almost 7yrs and my business is reporting (since 8/2011). So not only do I pay my bills timely... but im stabile living at the same address and working my business for years.

Sorry for such a long post!
Message 36 of 38
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

It ALWAYS ALWAYS is a good idea to recon with Navy Fed . If they say no I have seen many many ppl here get their foot in the door by apping again for the lowest amount or a alot lower amount and get approved that way ..sometimes going max limit isn't always good for some of us with issues on our CR. Anyways I would definitely give it a try . If you do decide to app again just knw they wil do another Hp. Congrats on all your success and let us know how it goes .
Message 37 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgot to share that I recon'd and they still denied me -- back in Feb 2017. However... yesterday I decided to give it a go again for the $15k max (went to 24hr review) and this morning they sent a text and email approving me (for the NFCU CLOC). When the July AR happens... i'll push the love button for max on the cRewards card. I'd like to get that from $19.5k to 25k. THANKS ALL!!!
Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.