Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom 55

tag
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Freedom 55

30 years ago, a Canadian life insurance company dreamed up the marketing slogan "Freedom 55".  The extremely optimistic idea was for people who invested when they were young and received double digit returns could actually look forward to retiring at age 55. 

Today is my birthday, my 55th to be exact or what I refer to as "double nickle".  I have travelled a mixed road on my way with a few wrong turns, a near bankruptcy but now enjoy a relatively fortunate financial position.  But is no sense am I am in a position to retire just yet.  Perhaps in 10 years at my present savings rate depending on how the economy progresses?  I own only a few hundred in CC debt and will be able to pay off my mortgage within 9 years.  I save in excess of 20% annually to make up for under saving in my less secure years. I just received a 3.5% raise this year and therefore put part of that money into increasing my mortgage payment and part to increasing my savings and the rest will cover inflation.  I call it prudent financial management.  While other dabble heavily in stocks and bonds - I have diversified into precious metals which are the only true money to balance the potential for losses in my pension/RRSPs.

I firmly believe that the world is going to have another financial meltdown - and this time it will be worse than 2008-10, perhaps on the same scale as 1929.  The signs are all there, bubbles are being inflated.  Oil is volatile and has dropped dramatically in the last few months.  Prior to 2008, it happened as well.  This time it may not be the US who will start the meltdown, it may be Japan with its +230% debt or China with its slowing growth rate and soaring debt levels. Or perhaps it will be the banks who hold trillions of derivative debt will collapse again?  Whatever the initial issue, "Freedom 55" is a unattainable dream, now or in the foreseeable future.  The old joke "how do you become a successful millionaire - start be being an unsuccessful Billionaire!" is probably more true.

How about you? How confident do you feel about your financial future?  If we experience a financial collapse in the next 18 months, how prepared are you?

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Freedom 55

If we had another collapse, I think I would be in much better shape than I was circa 08 as a freelance graphic designer just starting out. I have a few years under my belt now and granted am in the industry of marketing that is first to be cut, web and interactive will remain a thriving industry. Plus I do brand strategy. Print designers I think will eventuallty be pushed out. I have a FT job as a senior web designer for a 117 yr old company. Brick and motar retail is romantic but it is  still suffering from the 08 collapse and the US consumer has changed their behavior to online environments. Hell, in a few months consumers will be able to make purchases on there watches dick tracy style. The last US mall was built in 06, and they have been closing them down ever since. Business that refuse to be nimble to the consumer are the ones that will go the way of the dodo. And that is that. 

I currently am saving to buy a house or a rental. I hope to have 50k saved up in 2 years maybe enought for a house and a rental, plus at that time hoping to have about 20k in investments in 401k, Roth IRA, and CD's as an or bust buffer. Plus, have enourmous amounts of security in CL and relationships I'm building with banks. So. I'm not loosing any sleep about the future "collapses". I am planning for my future now so I don't have to worry about it then. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Freedom 55

If it collapses. I will wait for the bottom and buy. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.