cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to NFCU branch to open account. What should I bring?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Going to NFCU branch to open account. What should I bring?

@Federalist, they are not fast in processing the applications. I applied through their fax number. CSR said it's better to email so that they can track in system. Fax applications take time to process. So, I applied through email and I got the response after a week. Then I submitted the documents in the branch and the nice (cute 😜) lady faxed to back office. Same day she mentioned that my application got approved. A week after that I got my debt card. For me it was three weeks wait.
Message 11 of 17
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've read through the NFCU tutorial on how to open an account. I've also seen some threads where people were asked to submit other things. I'd love to take care of it all in one trip to my local branch. I already have my Navy League San Diego email confirmations. POI, POR, ID... what else should I bring to try to get it all taken care of in one long visit to the branch?

Federalist,

In my part of the country, NFCU updated their procedures in the branches about processing Navy League and BAE memberships. Basically the branches can not longer process these types of memberships because the branches have to enter an override code and to minimize the CU's risk to fraudulent accounts.  The preferred methods of joining are mailing the application is snail mail, emailing, or faxing it in.

If you go to the branch and they process your application themselves, that's awesome and consider yourself lucky. Otherwise fill the application out and the branch will fax it over to membership services for you. Make your ID, SSN, proof of residency, proof of income, and both letters indicating you're a member of the San Diego chapter of the Navy League. Do not lie about anything on the application because the verification department and/or verification will freeze your account and they will close it. Navy Federal doesn't like risk or potential risk. I just got a PM from someone that just had his accounts closed because he tried to add a joint user to his account that had a different address on her I. You said in another thread you wanted to add your wife to your account. My recommendation is have her with you and open a joint account together. Another option is   you sponsor her for her membership. 

Just remember Navy Federal is a credit union and works just like the government. If you play by NFCU's rules, you are in. This is a golden opportunity to join one of the country's best financial institutions, use it wisely.

Guyatthebeach

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've read through the NFCU tutorial on how to open an account. I've also seen some threads where people were asked to submit other things. I'd love to take care of it all in one trip to my local branch. I already have my Navy League San Diego email confirmations. POI, POR, ID... what else should I bring to try to get it all taken care of in one long visit to the branch?

Federalist,

In my part of the country, NFCU updated their procedures in the branches about processing Navy League and BAE memberships. Basically the branches can not longer process these types of memberships because the branches have to enter an override code and to minimize the CU's risk to fraudulent accounts.  The preferred methods of joining are mailing the application is snail mail, emailing, or faxing it in.

If you go to the branch and they process your application themselves, that's awesome and consider yourself lucky. Otherwise fill the application out and the branch will fax it over to membership services for you. Make your ID, SSN, proof of residency, proof of income, and both letters indicating you're a member of the San Diego chapter of the Navy League. Do not lie about anything on the application because the verification department and/or verification will freeze your account and they will close it. Navy Federal doesn't like risk or potential risk. I just got a PM from someone that just had his accounts closed because he tried to add a joint user to his account that had a different address on her I. You said in another thread you wanted to add your wife to your account. My recommendation is have her with you and open a joint account together. Another option is   you sponsor her for her membership. 

Just remember Navy Federal is a credit union and works just like the government. If you play by NFCU's rules, you are in. This is a golden opportunity to join one of the country's best financial institutions, use it wisely.

Guyatthebeach

+1

Thanks for the heads up. Will fax instead.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend emailing the application for faster responsez
Message 14 of 17
Godoi25
Established Member

Just sharing my experience becoming a member of NFCU through Navy League. Filled out application and faxed on may 1st, 8 days passed and didn't hear anything back. I called customer service and after 45min on the phone with customer representative trying to locate application and get in contact with membership department, the rep gets on the phone and ask me. Your application has not been processed yet, do you have any branches near you? (I do) you should go to branch and get it all done there. Rep said "it could take another week for membership department to look at your application and then they might ask for other documents which could extend the process another couple weeks. I said thank you I will try that. Next day I went in near by branch, seat with somebody and got it all done without any problems. All I needed was DL and email confirmation from navy league, nothing else. The guy was super nice and at the very beginning he asked "how are you eligible for membership?" (Navy league) he said, "I haven't heard of that before give me one second" he walked out of the room with my navy league email, came back and said "let me get this started, this is the first membership through the navy league that I have processed, now I know for future ones". 

Message 15 of 17
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Effective today, NFCU is no longer accepting membership applications from the Navy League San Diego chapter. According the people I talked to at NFCU, the CU removed the Navy League San Diego from its field of membership.

Guyatthebeach

Message 16 of 17
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Wow I knew it was a matter of time bf they shut that one down!
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.