cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.

Valued Contributor

Re: HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.

Keep in mind that you may have family members that are neither active nor retired that could possible be members and get you in that way. My boyfriend joined NFCU when he was in the marines. He was in service for 11 years and got out but is not retired. Technically, he would not be eligible to joing NFCU now, but since he was already a member, he was able to keep his account. I was able to join through his access number, because we live in the same household.

 

I'll be honest, though; I don't keep much money in there because I am terrified that they will shut me down some day. They didn't ask for any verification that we lived together (maybe they recognize the address on his account is the same as mine). I have been using another local bank as my main in case NFCU decides that I need to be shut down or something.

Fico scores as of 7/14/16 are EQ: 797 TU: 791 EX: 804
Message 11 of 23
Established Member

Re: HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.

You don't have to worry about them shutting you down, my friends mom joined from her dad being retired from the navy and then she joined (my roommate) and I was able to join since we're in the same household , been a member for 4 years now and have never been turned down for any loan, I also just got the loc for my checking account 6 months ago , haven't used it yet 14k very nice to have though. 

Fico 8 TU710 EQ700 EX705

NFCU Cash Rewards18k-NFCU Platinum 18k- Discover 2k-Chase Freedom 5k- Citi Cash 5k-Burgdorf Goodman 7k-VS5k-True Value Discover3k-Jared 10k-Kays10k-Firestone 5k-Carecredit 7k-Amazon9k-Walmart10k-2 Car loans-2 Mortgages- 1 Home Improvement Loan
1 SUV Charge-off that's paid that I co-signed for falls off 7/2016
Message 12 of 23
Moderator

Re: HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.


Annipoo wrote:

Keep in mind that you may have family members that are neither active nor retired that could possible be members and get you in that way. My boyfriend joined NFCU when he was in the marines. He was in service for 11 years and got out but is not retired. Technically, he would not be eligible to joing NFCU now, but since he was already a member, he was able to keep his account. I was able to join through his access number, because we live in the same household.

 

I'll be honest, though; I don't keep much money in there because I am terrified that they will shut me down some day. They didn't ask for any verification that we lived together (maybe they recognize the address on his account is the same as mine). I have been using another local bank as my main in case NFCU decides that I need to be shut down or something.


+1

 

I feel the same way, Annipoo... and I'm a member through my brother.  He's been to a brick-and-mortar branch (he lives near a base) so I'm confident they are OK with him being eligible, but we have different last names, and I've been nervous since I joined that there would be a problem because of that.  I'm not sure it's worth collecting birth certificates if it were to come down to that, although if it ever does I will have to give it some thought. 

 

I did make sure he was a member before I joined, and I used his access number as my sponsor, since most of the folks who had verification issues didn't use their sponsor's access number (they joined based on their sponsor's service instead).  So far I've had no issue, but until a year or so passes I'll be hesitant to consider a checking account with them.  I have around $100 in my share account, and if it were to be temporarily frozen it woudn't be the end of the world.  Plus, I'm very pleased with USAA's checking at the moment, and until I have a reason to change I'll probably stick with them anyway

 


Indianaguy wrote:

You don't have to worry about them shutting you down, my friends mom joined from her dad being retired from the navy and then she joined (my roommate) and I was able to join since we're in the same household , been a member for 4 years now and have never been turned down for any loan, I also just got the loc for my checking account 6 months ago , haven't used it yet 14k very nice to have though. 


Indianaguy, I'm not saying you're wrong, but for every post where someone says everything will be fine there's at least three threads were people have gone into great detail describing their experience with NFCU security.  Actually, there are enough threads on here that it made me sure to go the 'extra mile' of having my USAF brother join before I did, even though the guidelines explicitly state that it's not required.

 

It does seem to have 'calmed down' a bit lately, and perhaps they have relaxed (?), but when it comes to my checking account I can't be locked out for even a day - and when NFCU security gets involved, it tends to be longer than a day.  As awesome as NFCU CSRs are, the security folks are said to be quite humorless, and it's just a chance I'm not prepared to take. 

 

We all have our thresholds for risk, and for some folks it might be perfectly fine to 'chance it', but I'm personally not in a good-enough 'place' to do so.  It would literally be a disaster for me to lose access to my checking account - even temporarily.

Message 13 of 23
Senior Contributor

Re: HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.


Indianaguy wrote:

You don't have to worry about them shutting you down, my friends mom joined from her dad being retired from the navy and then she joined (my roommate) and I was able to join since we're in the same household , been a member for 4 years now and have never been turned down for any loan, I also just got the loc for my checking account 6 months ago , haven't used it yet 14k very nice to have though. 


And yet actual veterans can't join. No offense to you, but this is a screwy system.


Gardening until tomorrow.
Message 14 of 23
Moderator

Re: HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.


CAPTOOL wrote:

And yet actual veterans can't join. No offense to you, but this is a screwy system.


+1

 

I agree completely, CAPTOOL.  It seems if they wanted to be restrictive, they could find another way to 'cull the masses'.

 

It's a head-scratcher for sure.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 15 of 23
Established Member

Re: HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.

I've read lots of those threads as well and before even joining we called in and joined over the phone and I also went through the security check , I figured get it out of the way before doing business 

 

Fico 8 TU710 EQ700 EX705

NFCU Cash Rewards18k-NFCU Platinum 18k- Discover 2k-Chase Freedom 5k- Citi Cash 5k-Burgdorf Goodman 7k-VS5k-True Value Discover3k-Jared 10k-Kays10k-Firestone 5k-Carecredit 7k-Amazon9k-Walmart10k-2 Car loans-2 Mortgages- 1 Home Improvement Loan
1 SUV Charge-off that's paid that I co-signed for falls off 7/2016
Message 16 of 23
Established Contributor

Re: HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.

Been trying to figure out a way in for a while as former military but can't because I didn't retire out. Pretty much given up on getting in. 

Message 17 of 23
New Member

Re: HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.

Hello, 

 

I am in need of help joining the NFCU and open to any private clubs (becoming a member) to make me eligible for membership.

 

my wife got a membership referral and joined. On the same day she sponsored m

she sponsored me also but now they need to validate the relationship between the individual that referred my wife.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Message 18 of 23
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.


Statman wrote:

Hello, 

 

I am in need of help joining the NFCU and open to any private clubs (becoming a member) to make me eligible for membership.

 

my wife got a membership referral and joined. On the same day she sponsored m

she sponsored me also but now they need to validate the relationship between the individual that referred my wife.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 


http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Navy-Federal-CU-The-REAL-way-in-for-those-that-dont...

Message 19 of 23
Frequent Contributor

Re: HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.


Statman wrote:

Hello, 

 

I am in need of help joining the NFCU and open to any private clubs (becoming a member) to make me eligible for membership.

 

my wife got a membership referral and joined. On the same day she sponsored m

she sponsored me also but now they need to validate the relationship between the individual that referred my wife.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 


Does you wife not have a valid relationship with the person who sponsered her?  I wonder if NFCU will allow a second way in if they think you fraudulently gained membership previously?  

Sept 15 -- All mid 400s
Jan 16 -- All mid 500s
Current: Knocking on 700s
Message 20 of 23