Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Inquiries w/o credit line increase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard Inquiries w/o credit line increase

I haven't applied for any credit line increase or new credit line. However, I got two hard inquiries recently by just opening a bank account(checkings account only) and applying for a new cellular service account. Are these inquiries same as the ones that comes from applying new credit card? And such inquiries are going to bring down my score as well?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hard Inquiries w/o credit line increase

These inquiries will also bring down credit score for the first 12 months similar to the ones from credit card applications. However, lenders may view these differently, especially during a manual review.

Message 2 of 7
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Some banks will HP your credit and most cell phone companies do as well. I wouldn't sweat it. Those INQs don't have much impact. Depending on your profile, you might not see any changes in your scores. If you do, it's temporary.
Message 3 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I haven't applied for any credit line increase or new credit line. However, I got two hard inquiries recently by just opening a bank account(checkings account only) and applying for a new cellular service account. Are these inquiries same as the ones that comes from applying new credit card? And such inquiries are going to bring down my score as well?

Out of curiosity which bank hit you with a HP just for opening a checking account? I'll be sure to never open an account with them.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's Legacy Federal Credit Union. And there are many banks (including private) which does that. It's good to always double check before opening an account. You can get some idea from here :

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-accounts/is-opening-a-bank-account-a-soft-or-hard-pull/

Message 5 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

It's Legacy Federal Credit Union. And there are many banks (including private) which does that. It's good to always double check before opening an account. You can get some idea from here :

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-accounts/is-opening-a-bank-account-a-soft-or-hard-pull/

Actually, very few banks do a HP just to open an account, as long as you decline overdraft protection as that is a credit product.  A number of credit unions do, which I think is stupid. If they'll use the same HP for applying for a credit product, OK, but just to open and account? No thanks, that's what Chex & EWS are for.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked the bank regarding HP and they said, they do it all the time for everyone irrespective of whether someone accepts or decline overdraft protection. Had I know this before, I wouldn't have opened my account there.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.