cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a few questions about opening a small business and how it affects credit and getting loans

tag
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Have a few questions about opening a small business and how it affects credit and getting loans

Hey guys I hope this is in the correct spot if not plz let me know , so a couple years back my fiancé and I plus our kids had to make a move to another state for a job , bc the job market for what my fiancé does was very slim in our home state of Arkansas so we were forced to move our family to Kansas for a better employment opportunity. He has been at his job for 2 years and makes around 65k . I'm trying to include as much important and necessary info to give the entire picture. Well in the last few mths a business opportunity has came about and we are trying to weigh our options and see if it would be worth the risk of leaving his very stable good paying job to open this small business. My fiancés dad owns an ice cream shop in Belize and it is doing very very good and he is expanding his business and opening one in our home state in a city that attracts lots of tourist . He wants my fiancé and I to move back home ( which is what we really want to do but not if the risk if not worth it ) and run this location for him , he is putting up all the money for the start up of the business, he even has an investor , all we would have to do is take the leap and move back home next mth . We have no clue about anything to do with owning a small business , anything you guys could tell us would help me to make a better decision plz do . We were under the impression he would be part owner with his brother but when we just asked for the details of it , his dad says they will be paid employees until we pay him back the start up cost once the business is up and going good? Is this something to worry about ? And also if he does list them on their as co owners or partners how does hat affect our ability to take out loans or our credit , we have been working toward wanting to buy our own home in the next year or so , how does that affect it ? Is there a negative side to beIng a small business owner rather than an employee whose pay is set to a certain amount? Mind you we will be doing everything without his dads help bc he lives in Belize , so is it fair for his to only be an employee?

Thanks guys and sorry I hope I included enough info for someone to atleast help with some of my concerns . We really want to move back home but we don't want to risk it if it's not worth it . We have a family to thInk about and kids so leaving his full time job with benefits is super scary .
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Have a few questions about opening a small business and how it affects credit and getting loans

First of all, congratulations on such a wonderful opportunity. Perhaps making a list of questions you would like answered about the business would put you at ease. See how you feel about the answers then move forward. Sometimes these things have to be on faith, though. Best of luck to you! It sounds as though this is something you really want to do for your family.Smiley Happy Keep us posted.

Message 2 of 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Have a few questions about opening a small business and how it affects credit and getting loans

There are a lot of positives and minuses of owning your own business and rather than write a 10,000 word post, ask specifics and I'll expand on those questions (as Musiclover suggested).

Probably the best thing you posted was you would be "employees" for a while, that means you get to learn the business, and shortfalls, while earning a known income. 

I was employed by others for a lot of years, was basically COO of a small privately owned chain of stores for 17 years, then ran my own business for 18 years (got rich then went broke) and now I'm employed by someone else....so goes the cycle Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 11
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys sorry , let me format my more specific questions a little better , i have a million thoughts running thru my head just bc this is so out of our ordinary. Sorry about the long winded post lol. What I'm worried about most is what if he does not do the things he says he will do ? We don't have a legal leg to stand on if he decides after all the hard work has been done and the business is going that he doesn't want to make them co owners right ?

Should we draw up some sort of agreement /contract? The reason I'm so hesitant is bc my fiancé and his dad has had a rocky past and his dad claims to have changed for the better now and wants to do this for his kids so they can have this business for themselves . But his track record has not been great. We just want to protect ourselves .

Once you are a small business owner , is it harder to obtain loans ? Such as a home loan ? I have seen a lot of post aboit small business owners being worried about income verification? Why is this ?
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aduke1122 wrote:
Thanks guys sorry , let me format my more specific questions a little better , i have a million thoughts running thru my head just bc this is so out of our ordinary. Sorry about the long winded post lol. What I'm worried about most is what if he does not do the things he says he will do ? We don't have a legal leg to stand on if he decides after all the hard work has been done and the business is going that he doesn't want to make them co owners right ?

Should we draw up some sort of agreement /contract? The reason I'm so hesitant is bc my fiancé and his dad has had a rocky past and his dad claims to have changed for the better now and wants to do this for his kids so they can have this business for themselves . But his track record has not been great. We just want to protect ourselves .

Once you are a small business owner , is it harder to obtain loans ? Such as a home loan ? I have seen a lot of post aboit small business owners being worried about income verification? Why is this ?

I think business deals with family are complicated enough, and this post raises some serious red flags beyond my ordinary stance on that.

Beyond that, working for yourself means acquiring a family health insurance plan and paying for it entirely out of pocket.  Have you checked on what health insurance alone would cost for your family?

It also means one's social security taxes doubling. (When you are an employee, your employer actually pays half.) 

Owning a business often means not getting a regular paycheck every two weeks. Sometimes, no pay for months.

Businesses in general take a few years to start turning a profit and the restaurant business is tougher than most. If you decide to embark on this venture, I would definitely put home ownership on hold for a few years until you know it's solid. And you need everything in writing with regards to agreements with your future father in law.

Personally, I think it sounds pretty dicey.

Message 5 of 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Forgive me but I'm at the office and will be out a while but not home until maybe 1030 or 11 - Good questions and very valid concerns, but I'll have to get back to you later as far as complete answers ....

Message 6 of 11
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the insight SteelerNYC, I appreciate the advice and had not even thought about health insurance wow 😳, and didn't know that taxes would be way more than regular. Thanks for bringing this to my attention . Yes I have always heard family will be the first to mess you over. This is why I'm very concerned about everything .
Message 7 of 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I agree with what SteelerNYC posted, it's 7.65% X 2 for FICA (social security and Medicare), add in unemployment insurance if you plan on adding any employees and possibly employee heath insurance, rent, business taxes, personal withholding which you need in to send to the IRS/State in advance and of course inventory, health inspections (they cost if you don't keep the "food place" spotless), pest control (not talking about relatives).  Benefits, a LOT of things you can write off like a car/truck for business use - put a sign on the door of the vehicle, cost of all those things I listed as expenses (not so much the payroll taxes other than business license, etc). You can write of up to 25% of your house if its used for business only, think storage of supplies, business office for computer, files, desk, etc.

If the business does well, you'll do well, if it doesn't you'll go broke. Now as far as "promises" a lot of small business start with two "partners" one says they'll put up the money, the other says they'll do all the work and it's all great dividing nothing but the idea, the issues come up later when the business is up and running, then salaries, investment capital, profit split, etc etc break up many partnerships. Expect to work 60-80-100 hours a week as owners, be willing to scrub floors and clean public trash and bathrooms. Expect your only part time employee to "get sick" on the busiest Saturday of the year (and you'll probably see him/her at the pool/beach/bar later).

Believe it or not you CAN do very well, but chances are you won't have time to enjoy/spend it - you will be your own boss which means the buck stops with YOU when your freezers that told all your inventory have a compressor go out on the hottest day of Summer.

Build a history with a local bank and you'll have no problem getting business and personal loans, auto loans, their credit card, etc. - It will take a year of two of solid store deposits for your bank to trust you. Oh, and if this crowd (forum members) shop there, expect to pay swipe fees on every $1 sale you make....they don't carry cash Smiley Frustrated

Edit/Add: I can't comment on the family relationship, that's your call and frankly if it goes "bad" will you be able to deal with it short term/long term? Again I'll say the best thing offered in this "deal" is the chance to be "manager-employee" for a year or two, you'll learn the business, the good and bad, and you can walk away without mortgaging your home and soul for a business you may or may not like. 

Edit/Edit: I really should not post after working a 14 hour day - seems spelling and typos become the new normal Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 11
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Thanks for all of that advice and knowledge Pipeguy , we have some serious thinking to get done pretty fast , our biggest fear is leaving a good job with great benefits to the unknown bc we do have a family to support and of course his dad not holding up to his word after we do all the hard work .
Message 9 of 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Just to give you one extra thought: My personal business I ran out of my home from 1989 until 2008 or so... during the mid to late 1990's I was doing over a million dollars in sales (it wasn't all profit) working 7 days a week, probably 120 hours a week, traveling in and out of the country 4-6 months a year (hotels and airplanes were away of life) gave my family all the toys of a good income could provide (vacation home, land at a lake, boats, motorcycles, etc). When it crashed and burned (2003-05) I went from over a million dollars in sales to less than $100k ended up selling the toys and properties to try to stay afloat, basically lost everything including my credit - THEN the IRS came a-calling and demanded a LOT of money, but that's another story. We didn't declare bankruptcy, although we probably should have. No one to blame but me, I didn't see the market changing nor the new players using my business model better than I was.

The good years were great, the bad years were very painful - welcome to being a small business owner Smiley Wink 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.