Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help paying down cards please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help paying down cards please

I have a few different credit cards. I need help figuring out how to pay these off or at least down to where I am not forking out tons of money every month. I will list them off and hopefully someone here has some great advice for me! I have never had a late payment.

- Chase: Balance $22,000. Limit is $23,000.
Minimum payment is $220. Normally pay $500.

Interest free period right now but APR 24% begins in September. I feel like I will be paying this card off until I die witht he projected $400 a month in interest.

- Citi Bank: Balance $5,800 - Limit $6,000.
Minimum payment is $72. Normally pay $72.

Interest free period until next year. Not sure the APR, probably 24%.

- Best Buy: Balance $2,920 - Limit $3,000.
Minimum payment is $28. Normally pay >$50.

Only a portion has APR which is around $8 a month. Not bad.

- Care Credit: Balance $1,900 - Limit $3,000.
Minimum payment is $27. Normally pay >$50.
I only use this card for my dogs vet appts or boarding so the balance never goes above $2,000 per year.

- American Express: Balance $984 - Limit $1,000.
Minimum payment will probably be $36.
No interest for a year. This card was recently opened to transfer balances.

- Discover It: Balance $1835 - Limit $2,000.

No interest for 2 months. This card was recently opened to transfer balances.

Victoria Secret: ZERO BALANCE lol
Fingehut: ZERO BALANCE lol

So with all of that said, I have a LOT of debt and I don't have a steady income anymore.. so I am struggling. I have $4000 in the bank and I am wondering which card I should throw it into. I would think the Chase card, but at the same time it wouldn't change much at all. Interest in September would go from $400 to 316. Or I could pay off the Best Buy card. Or pay off the new cards? I hate this. I am almost 30 and I just got my first credit card about 3 years ago. The Chase card balance is high because I helped my boyfriend start his business and I used my card. HE is the one making the payments but obviously cannot pay a huge amount each month. Usually $500. Any advice will help. 

PS I never use my cards now! The goal is to stop using and pay them off. =)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help paying down cards please

The experts usually say to pay off the card with the higher APR first. In your case, it seems all of your cards are currently in a 0% intro period. So it is a bit more difficult to say what should be paid off first. I am recommending paying off the smallest balance first so that eventually all your debt ends up in one place (Chase). 

Can you return whatever (sorry, have to say it) unnecessary thing you purchased at Best Buy? If not, remember that once the intro APR expires (same as cash purchase) if you do not pay off the entire balance on that promotion, they charge interest from the date of purchase Smiley Surprised  So be sure to pay off that promotion before it expires or better yet, return what you bought. Based on your balance I am assuming you are within a return window.

If you have the $4,000 available, I would pay off two of the lower balance cards off, probably Discover IT and Care Credit (from what I read, Discover IT is closest to having the 0% expire?).

If it were me, this is what I would do. Return the items to Best Buy (the restocking fee is worth it to have one less debt to worry about); use the $4K to pay off Care Credit and Discover IT (if IT's intro period is expiring soon). Then, believe it or not, I would attack the Citi and Amex cards to get those paid off. Then, in September, see if the boyfriend can open his own credit card, in his own name and have him use a balance transfer check from his account to repay what you lent him. He should also see about getting a business line of credit-anything he can do to take the load off you without risking the business. 

If all else fails, you (or the boytoy) can look into a personal loan to consolidate. It won't be pretty and you'd be looking at a 5 year committment but at least all the debt would be in one place and a humbling reminder of what debt can do. 

And for the love of all things holy, stop using your cards. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The most important thing is developing a realistic plan-- something that really could be implemented in 5 years or less.  And I think you should consider the possibility that paying off the debt is not realistic.  You may simply be in way over your head.  In which case bankruptcy needs to be very carefully considered as an option.

The worst thing of all would be struggling for five more years -- and then finally having to declare BK anyway.  That would be an additional five years of misery (as well as a sharp blow to your retirement, since during that five years you could have been saving money in that direction).  Far better to have the tooth out now.

Message 3 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a few different credit cards. I need help figuring out how to pay these off or at least down to where I am not forking out tons of money every month. I will list them off and hopefully someone here has some great advice for me! I have never had a late payment.

- Chase: Balance $22,000. Limit is $23,000.
Minimum payment is $220. Normally pay $500.

Interest free period right now but APR 24% begins in September. I feel like I will be paying this card off until I die witht he projected $400 a month in interest.

- Citi Bank: Balance $5,800 - Limit $6,000.
Minimum payment is $72. Normally pay $72.

Interest free period until next year. Not sure the APR, probably 24%.

- Best Buy: Balance $2,920 - Limit $3,000.
Minimum payment is $28. Normally pay >$50.

Only a portion has APR which is around $8 a month. Not bad.

- Care Credit: Balance $1,900 - Limit $3,000.
Minimum payment is $27. Normally pay >$50.
I only use this card for my dogs vet appts or boarding so the balance never goes above $2,000 per year.

- American Express: Balance $984 - Limit $1,000.
No interest for a year. This card was recently opened to transfer balances.

- Discover It: Balance $1835 - Limit $2,000.

No interest for 2 months. This card was recently opened to transfer balances.

Victoria Secret: ZERO BALANCE lol
Fingehut: ZERO BALANCE lol

So with all of that said, I have a LOT of debt and I don't have a steady income anymore.. so I am struggling. I have $4000 in the bank and I am wondering which card I should throw it into. I would think the Chase card, but at the same time it wouldn't change much at all. Interest in September would go from $400 to 316. Or I could pay off the Best Buy card. Or pay off the new cards? I hate this. I am almost 30 and I just got my first credit card about 3 years ago. The Chase card balance is high because I helped my boyfriend start his business and I used my card. HE is the one making the payments but obviously cannot pay a huge amount each month. Usually $500. Any advice will help. 

PS I never use my cards now! The goal is to stop using and pay them off. =)

My suggestion would be to use the 'snowball' method. You start with the lowest balance, pay that off, and then move on to the next lowest balance. Each time you pay a card off, the monthly payment is ended, and you can then apply that money to the next card in line.

In your case...

1. Stop using all your cards. Sock drawer each and every one of them.

2. Take the 4k, pay off Amex and Discover, and $1181 towards Care Credit.

3. Then pay minimum + $5 on each card other than Care Credit, and apply whatever you have to Care Credit until that's paid off.

4. And then move on to Best Buy, and after you knock that off, Citibank, and after that's done, Chase.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 5
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The experts usually say to pay off the card with the higher APR first. In your case, it seems all of your cards are currently in a 0% intro period. So it is a bit more difficult to say what should be paid off first. I am recommending paying off the smallest balance first so that eventually all your debt ends up in one place (Chase). 

Can you return whatever (sorry, have to say it) unnecessary thing you purchased at Best Buy? If not, remember that once the intro APR expires (same as cash purchase) if you do not pay off the entire balance on that promotion, they charge interest from the date of purchase Smiley Surprised  So be sure to pay off that promotion before it expires or better yet, return what you bought. Based on your balance I am assuming you are within a return window.  THIS is crucial to understand!

If you have the $4,000 available, I would pay off two of the lower balance cards off, probably Discover IT and Care Credit (from what I read, Discover IT is closest to having the 0% expire?).

If it were me, this is what I would do. Return the items to Best Buy (the restocking fee is worth it to have one less debt to worry about); use the $4K to pay off Care Credit and Discover IT (if IT's intro period is expiring soon). Then, believe it or not, I would attack the Citi and Amex cards to get those paid off. Then, in September, see if the boyfriend can open his own credit card, in his own name and have him use a balance transfer check from his account to repay what you lent him. He should also see about getting a business line of credit-anything he can do to take the load off you without risking the business. 

If all else fails, you (or the boytoy) can look into a personal loan to consolidate. It won't be pretty and you'd be looking at a 5 year commitment but at least all the debt would be in one place and a humbling reminder of what debt can do. 

And for the love of all things holy, stop using your cards.  +1000

While I can appreciate you having wanted to help your BF start his business, this was probably the thing that took you over the edge.  Boyfriends come and go, and with YOU being the only one legally responsible for the debt....he could up and decide tomorrow that he no longer wanted to repay you and you'd be the one stuck.  This is a hard lesson to learn for sure but, why didn't he get his own business card or loan to start his business with?

You also mentioned not making money currently and that this $4000 is the last you have.  If so, how will you pay your other bills...rent, utilities, etc?  Have you cut things back that are absolutely necessary(no cable/internet, lower cell phone plan, no eating out)?  What is your plan for income at this point?

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.